Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy rear brake replacement

Default Easy rear brake replacement

Found parts that are pretty much bolt on. You have to knock out the "wedge" that's fitted to the center pin (that the top of the shoes ride on) on top of the backing plate. Then Jeep Gladiator dually rear shoes fit right up. The wheels cylinders for the same vehicle also bolt right up and use a 7/16" threaded fitting. You will need the hardware kit for the Gladiator as well as the upper springs attach differently.

Luckily, these parts are all the same as Chevy duallys of similar vintage to they are pretty easy to come by.

Raybestos numbers for the cylinders are:

Left-WC9344
    Right-WC9345

Raybestos Shoes

60PG

Raybestos hardware

H7027

All on Rock Auto for less than $100 total.

I test fitted my original dually shoe to an M715 backing plate and it fits fine once the "Wedge" is removed. Hold down holes line up and the shoe rides right on the flats stamped into the backing plate. I test fitted my old and new wheel cylinders up and they fit perfectly. Mounting holes line up perfectly.

You could probably get away with using the wheel cylinders with the stock M715 shoes.

FYI, Gladiator duallys used 13x2.5" rear brakes, just like the M7xx series trucks and have no self adjusters or provision for mounting a parking brake.
    1963 J300/1971 J2000/1983 J10

Great stuff and thanks for sharing it. I hope it gets added to the stickies.

Glad it worked out and thanks for sharing! Hope this helps people keeping the "stock" brakes.
    Is that real money?

This is a great post...THANKS!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by ray steadward View Post
    Glad it worked out and thanks for sharing! Hope this helps people keeping the "stock" brakes.
    Me too! Thanks again btw. It was very nice to meet you and bs about Jeeps. I've got the backing plates blasted and painted.

I did found one minor difference (that matters) between the Civi and M715 plates. The round stud the shoes ride on for the civi plates is 1" od and the M715 is 7/8" od (after removing the "wedge").

Easy fix though. I just cut two pieces of 1x.065" stainless tubing to 9/16" thick and fit it over the 7/8" round stud. Instant 1" od and a nice tight fit. It won't go anywhere.

I'll take a pic of it.

So in order to make the shoes fit an M715, you need to remove the wedge and fit a sleeve over the center stud. Though the sleeve may not even be necessary honestly. The shoes still seem to fit fine without it.

Does the SS tube have an application? Or is there a particular source? Maybe any common 1" tube would work (copper, brass, whatever)...? This can all be done without removing the backing plate from the truck as well correct?
    Is that real money?

Right, no need to remove the backing plate to put the tube over the pin on the backing plate. It can be done just be having the drum and shoes off.

My father works for a pipe and tubing company, so I just had him cut me a couple of pieces of stainless. Can me made from any seamless tubing. I figured stainless would give a nice hard wearing surface.

That's the same shoes used for the mod where you lop the top end off?
    Brake Shoes

Wonder how close the H122 springs are to the H7027 springs... I already have the shoes and the H122 springs sitting on a shelf in the shop. Not that it matters much, buying new H7027 springs and knocking the wedge off are easier than chopping the new shoes up...

Good info, thanks!

The H0727 kit has the wrong lower spring it turns out. The GM brakes where self adjusting.

And that bump does need to be removed from the brake shoe as in the write up.
    Also, that spacer should be 1/2" wide, not 9/16". I measured my dually backing plates for that measurement like an idiot.

Still better than having to pull the backing plate to modify it, change the brake line fitting or having to cut up brake shoes.

I'll have pics tomorrow of the complete brake set up on the 715 backing plates. I've got the plates and wheel cylinders on right now, spent
    the entire day working on the front end of my fathers 98 K3500 instead of finishing my brakes today.
    Last edited by Kaiserman; May 28th, 2017 at 07:44 PM.

Sounds like it will be a new page for the online manuals...get some good pics and post and I will do my best to put it together....this is a sweet and much easier way of getting the job done!!
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!