Thread: Body panel sealer/putty

Default Body panel sealer/putty

I am in the process of preparing the beast for painting. I am noticing the 50 year old putty between the panels and at the seams is cracking and even non-existent. There are gaps on the windshield frame that I can see through. The other big area is the rocker panel below/behind door. All I see there is air! Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could fill it with? Preferably something that will last, that I can paint over, and is easy to work with. Silicone caulk is a no-go as I have found paint does not stick to. Thank you.

I've been using Eastwood seam sealer replacing floor panels in my Fairlane. Quart cans but I think they make tubes too. A little pricey but a quart goes a long way. I've used it on a patch in the bottom of my swamp cooler and replacing 2 floor pans, just getting to the bottom of the can.
    paintable, won't get brittle.

It says "brushable" but.... I guess if your brush is a putty knife..

I got mine on Amazon, was going to post a link can't find it on there now. You can get it direct.
    http://www.eastwood.com/ew-brush-on-...FQ2UaQodRswNwQ

3M makes some good stuff too but never used it.

Thanks Von. I will see if I can find a squeeze tube of the stuff. If not then, well putty knife and sanding!

POR makes a putty, but not sure that it is workable like a seam sealer...3m panelbond is awesome stuff that will work as a seam sealer and fills some small holes....PC7 epoxy has some good reviews too....I think all of them are sandable and paintable make sure you check for that,whatever you get.....
    Is that real money?

Quote Originally Posted by 44willysmb View Post
    Thanks Von. I will see if I can find a squeeze tube of the stuff. If not then, well putty knife and sanding!
    I don't think the Eastwood seam sealer is sandable, like bondo. I think it's supposed to stay a little soft, like the old factory sealers. Not gooey soft, but it doesn't really harden up either.
    In between slatherings the stuff on my putty knife would set up and I had to take it off with the wire brush on my bench grinder. Tough stuff.
    More for hidden areas and panel joints.