Thread: gerry can stenciling

Default gerry can stenciling

A friend at work, gave me this fuel can today (nice Christmas present)
    Much better condition than the one that I had planned to use on the M715 when completed.
    How common is this stenciling?

my dad has a red one with black stenciling, says same thing, I think it was probably more common at airports, so people wouldn't mix and match aviation fuel with standard car fuels, how common, not sure

his was surplus from a fire station, hence being red

I can't say that I ever saw cans stenciled in our units. But I was in what one might call a rather "sheltered" unit being in SVC Battery of a Pershing Battalion. I do however like the patina and color of your can. I would leave it as is for sure!

Yes, NICE Christmas gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Cavey View Post
    I do however like the patina and color of your can. I would leave it as is for sure!

Yes, NICE Christmas gift.
    Yes
    I'm going to take care of the rust right near the bottom seam, but that's it.

I don't recall seeing stenciling like that while I was in but that isn't saying much.

When I was in the camo scheme was in use and I recall the cans being painted in flat CARC paint. The cans were green in color but not that shade. The stencils were in black. I have a can from that era that has the "Mogas" stencil on it. IIRC the cans for diesel just said "Diesel" in black stencil.

I would guess that lots of these issues were just unit specific. I can certainly see labeling cans with "MoGas" or "Diesel" to keep things out of hand. A gasoline engine would not be happy running on diesel. And when I was in Utah, I tried putting MoGas in a Muilti-fuel deuce and a half to "Test the Theory". It ran but it was not happy!

I have dated 51 can that has the same stenciling, except it is rusted pretty bad inside. I have become a "collector" of these jerry cans, I have a '45 for my gpw, a '43, a bunch of '51s, and after looking for a couple years to find a 67 for my 715, I found a really nice '69, also have some later model ones. also have 3 or 4 water cans.

Default Different strokes

I was a supply petty officer in the Navy. When I would order this cans, there was no stencils on them. It was up to the end user to decide how the can was used and what stencil to put on it.
    Nice Christmas present.