Thread: Engine tranny swap

Default Engine tranny swap

I have searched out most of the related threads involving engine/trans swaps. The overall concensus is (least from what I read) that the SBC chevy is one of the easier ways to go. I am a noob for sure...I have a M725 that has a very tired engine. My problem is that I don't know what year vehicles have the engine tranny combos that I could transplant into my 725. I have a running AMC 360 with a 727 auto trans from a 83 wagoneer sitting right beside the Ambulance; but really like the manual trans on my rig...are there any chevy's out there that have a manual trans/engine combo that I could drop in with limited modifications

Without going to an overdrive trans, any of the SM465 or SM420 combos with the 350 are good to go. The SM420 has a lower first gear, granny style, like the stock M715 trans...some like that...the SM465 is a little newer and therefore may not be as used as the SM420...some like that...ratios are:

SM420 1st(7.05) 2nd(3.58) 3rd(1.71) 4th(1.00)
    SM465 1st(6.55) 2nd(3.58) 3rd(1.57) 4th(1.00)

I dont know applications offhand but those are things to look for.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

You should be able to find a good combo on 1973-87 GM trucks, (and actually earlier too. Check out Novak adapter knowledge base, good info here: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/sm465.htm
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

Default swap

thank you gentlemen for such a quick reply...this ambulance will be my eager fall winter project . I thought those SM trans were automatic I really am a noob; but I make up for with blind ambition. Took me three months to realise that SBC stood for small block chevy...or does it

Quote Originally Posted by asgmkg View Post
    thank you gentlemen for such a quick reply...this ambulance will be my eager fall winter project . I thought those SM trans were automatic I really am a noob; but I make up for with blind ambition. Took me three months to realise that SBC stood for small block chevy...or does it
    Yep, small block Chevy
    Thanks, George

Default two more questions

Will or can any 5 speed trans work for my ambulance as long as it comes from a 2 wheel drive chevy....also, I found a 4 speed with a 205 transfer case on it...does it need to have a passenger side drop.

I'm not sure about the 5 speed, but you will needs passenger side drop unless you swap front axles to move the differential to the drivers side. So the easy answer is yes
    Thanks, George