Thread: Offroad light bar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Offroad light bar

I wanted plenty of light and to make use of the height of the truck. All metal construction, aluminum sheet wrapped around 3/4 OD steel tubing with 4 plasma cut discs to define shape of the tube. Uses a geared down 12v window motor on one end to rotate open/closed, with an industrial 12v brake on the other end to hold in position when off, release to rotate when energized. So I have an infinite distance adjustment from the driver seat, and can rotate lights backward so's I don't have to fool with light covers. (CA law). The 4 larger lights are Kragen $100 HID's, (these are inexpensive versions of lights that can go for 400-600 bucks- most all of 'em are made in China- secret's getting out- they sell 'em fast as they get 'em) the other 4 are KC halogens I re-purposed from my old Blazer. Aircraft beacon re-motored from 28v to 12v (to speed it up), wig-wag light off e-bay, and I cut out the metal debossed 'Jeep' logo from an old Jeepster tailgate and put it behind the emergency lights. Two harbor freight utility lights on the sides. Umbilical cord plugs into 6 circuit trailer plug next to windshield, and 3 bolts per side hold unit on- easy to remove for any required servicing. Stock cyclops searchlight still in use. I built the overhead compartment a couple years ago and put in aircraft style switches, anticipating this someday. (old photo highlighting master battery switch) Swapped out the vacuum wipers with some 12v wipers I had bought a year ago while I was at it. Took a couple months of weekends to finish- ready to hit the desert and give it a test run!

Sorry for the jumbo pix- photo editing software's at work!

Nice! Now you just need to graft some deuce windshields in there and you'll be all set!
    "We are here for the meeting!"

OK, normally I reserve "off-road lightbars" to things used by mall-ninja-wheelers. Sound great in concept, but in reality are just annoying. I have ridiculed many a wheeler who just had to have 1.21 Gigawatts of light to blister my neck and bore into the back of my head.

BUT!!!!

That bar, with that technology (the electric crank and all), on THAT 725 is just BAD... ASS... That's a find implementation of exactly how they ought to be done, sir. My hat is off to you!!!

Awesome in engineering and execution...
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

unique idea ... very well built

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Wow! Just wow! That is a fine piece of engineering for sure. Nice work!
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™