Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning far in advance.....

Things start to snowball around this point.

A SBC with the Novak adaptor is cheap and easy. A SBC with a 465 married 205 would be the next step up in my opinion. But, you will do new cross members, drive shafts, clutch linkage and exhaust work.

If you want to go overdrive. They all came married with driver side drop transfer cases. So a Ford D60 could be swapped in or a passenger side drop 208/241 could be bolted up. Then all the stuff mentioned above plus a hydraulic clutch set up. Along with probably a matching 8 lug rear axle.

A divorced overdrive is easier, but still more involved than a non overdrive due to clutch set ups.

I did a 2wd NV4500 on mine and love it. But, they are kind of fragile compared to the old T98 or SM420 or SM465.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman View Post
    Things start to snowball around this point.

A SBC with the Novak adaptor is cheap and easy. A SBC with a 465 married 205 would be the next step up in my opinion. But, you will do new cross members, drive shafts, clutch linkage and exhaust work.

If you want to go overdrive. They all came married with driver side drop transfer cases. So a Ford D60 could be swapped in or a passenger side drop 208/241 could be bolted up. Then all the stuff mentioned above plus a hydraulic clutch set up. Along with probably a matching 8 lug rear axle.

A divorced overdrive is easier, but still more involved than a non overdrive due to clutch set ups.

I did a 2wd NV4500 on mine and love it. But, they are kind of fragile compared to the old T98 or SM420 or SM465.
    I think a chevy V8 and 2wd NV4500 would be a very cost-efficient conversion. Leaving the NP200 in place, there is no need to change the driveshafts. And the NV4500 being a bit longer than the T98, it negates the firewall "massaging" the Novak adapter required.

Just one word of caution - This is going to be a 50 year old Frankenstein vehicle... And will be used to make a living (ie, it needs to be reliable or bills don't get paid). Is this a wise path to follow?
    Last edited by Mikel; January 6th, 2019 at 08:18 PM.

It’s not dire, I have a 2014 dodge. I prefer the 725 as it can hold all needed tools at once. It’s also why I only travel in a 15 mile circle. This is a secondary career.

Also, the original engine (tornado) was just tuned. It has great compression. Odometer reads 21k miles. How long, with proper care and tune ups will this last?

Quote Originally Posted by Ec4fish View Post
    Also, the original engine (tornado) was just tuned. It has great compression. Odometer reads 21k miles. How long, with proper care and tune ups will this last?
    With proper care and not abusing it, that engine should have plenty of life left.

If your stock engine isn't leaking at every seal or smoking out the immediate area. You might be better off just leaving it all alone. The stock engine really is pretty darn good at doing what it was designed to do. Move 1-1/4 ton of cargo off road or the same amount on road up to 45 miles per hour. It does that very well.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Nope, not leaking at every seal. Just valve gasket currently. New one just came in to rectify that.
    I’m just trying to develope a plan from people who have been down this path, on the correct course of action. I really dig the vehicle. I don’t mind paying to keep it going. I just figure there is a point where sourcing original parts or replacements for this particular engine won’t be worth it. I would just like to find the most economical and sturdy path to get ready to take, when the time comes. I would like to pull the trigger on one big fix, all at once, than try to cobble stuff together drubs and drabs at a time.

For just driving around town, the tornado should be good. The low gearing makes up for the limited hp available. You really don't need lots of HP if you aren't trying to go 70 mph.

And I have found the tornado to be quite reliable. Just don't leave the ignition on and you won't burn up the coil (carry a spare)

And when you smell something burning, it's probably the e-brake you left engaged.

If you're happy with the tornado, and it sounds like it's in good shape, I would leave it.
    If you're looking to switch out the power plant I would make the engine, transmission, tcase swap from one donor vehicle. At that point you're choosing gas/diesel; chevy/ford; fuel injected/carburetor, etc. There is a ton of threads debating that back and forth, lol.
    Come and take it
    Go work at joann fabrics if you can't shoot a gun