Thread: More Ethanol Damage

Default More Ethanol Damage

While not '715 related, I found ethanol fumes have eaten the plastic on my bulk gasoline tank. Never had this before so I wonder if the ethanol formula has changed. The gauge was 1 year old. My pump was also destroyed as the vanes were eaten.

SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

Whoa...seriously...

Keep us informed if you find the ethanol is the cause...dont know what else it could be really though...thats bad news.
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

While we only have ethonal based gas in our 2000 gallon underground tank, in the above ground tanks that we keep racing methonal in, they do the same thing to the level gauges. The alcohol fumes seam to eat them everytime. We put fresh ones on each spring and by the end of the season they are melted and no longer working. Also we have to change the seals in the pumps every year as the alcohol causes them to dry out and start to leak. The one bonus to having the race shop is that we also have a Leaded 110 race fuel in another 2000 gallon underground tank that I use to mix into the fuel in my Army trucks. It is a non ethonal based gas and the lead helps for these old vehicles. The look on someones face as you are filling up with 110 race gas in an old Army truck is priceless, especially when they ask you how much horsepower it's got?
    Dave
    Delta Team Decals: http://www.deltateamdecals.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    While we only have ethonal based gas in our 2000 gallon underground tank, in the above ground tanks that we keep racing methonal in, they do the same thing to the level gauges. The alcohol fumes seam to eat them everytime. We put fresh ones on each spring and by the end of the season they are melted and no longer working. Also we have to change the seals in the pumps every year as the alcohol causes them to dry out and start to leak. The one bonus to having the race shop is that we also have a Leaded 110 race fuel in another 2000 gallon underground tank that I use to mix into the fuel in my Army trucks. It is a non ethonal based gas and the lead helps for these old vehicles. The look on someones face as you are filling up with 110 race gas in an old Army truck is priceless, especially when they ask you how much horsepower it's got?
    I hope this discussion is not going to jinx me! I still have my '65 Corvair that I drive in Florida. The carburetors were rebuilt 10 years ago and still going well with no problem. It also has the original engine mounted fuel pump which works well.

I also rebuilt my carburetor on the M715 two years ago with a ~70s military rebuild kit and (knock on wood) have not had any problem. It too has the original military fuel pump on it.

I guess that when I go back down to FL, neither one of them will start up!!!!

I have 'dosed' the gas in my vehicles with Seafoam when I know they will be sitting for quite awhile and in general daily use. So far so good regarding alcohol corrosion issues in the fuel system components, knock on wood.....