Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever done a "rolled-on" paint job?

Default Ever done a "rolled-on" paint job?

I found this link. Has anyone ever done a rolled-on paint job that looks like it was sprayed-on? Or, should I say does not look like a rolled-on paint job?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f260/.../#post14312925

Does anyone sell/mix gallons of "Viet Nam era" green paint? Anyone have the exact color code number that may be sold locally at auto-body paint stores? I know there is a paint company in PA many MV restorers use, but I understand "shipping" gallons requires special handling.

Thanks,
    Mike Cougler, MSgt, USAF Retired, '72-93
    '67 M725, VIN 10030, Delivery: 7/67
    Rochester, NY

There was a write up over on SS about this I was thinking of doing it myself while my rattle can paint job still looks good I want a better coverage. The trick is to use the foam rollers they posted in your link and for details use the foam brushes and not the regular ones. Most paint stores can color match paint for you I'll attach a pic of the paint can used in the write up on SS I saved it thinking the store could use it to find the color. I had planned on getting my project started when it warmed up so I can let you know more when I actually do it.

Chris

That Sahara roll-on paint job turned out rather well. Very impressive. OD paint has so many variations. Alot of it is personal taste. My truck is dull faded OD. Not even the slightest sign of shine. This is the way I remember them from my army days in 1969/1970's. I'd call it a flat OD. That would best describe it.
    militarypotts Spec/4 Military Police, Vietnam Era, "Does the noise in my head bother you? Welcome to the Twilight Zone!"

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I've seen a few roll-on jobs and honestly, for the work involved, and the results, I think spraying your paint looks better, lasts longer and produces overall better results.

Notice none of the pictures of that YJ are close up. It has some shine and looks OK from 8-10 feet away, but with a light color like that, it is very hard to tell if there is any texture or flaws. There is an old saying "Paint it white and call it right." for a reason. Light colors will hide a multitude of flaws.

The biggest and hardest job with paint, is the prep work. The nicest paint in the world will look really bad over poor bodywork. By the time you go to all the work of cleaning, repairing, then prepping the body, especially on the size of an M715/725, I think it'd be a waste to roll paint over that. Spend the money on the correct color, and do it right. A spray gun doesn't cost much, and you can spray in one of those portable carports if you need to. Plus, you will get paint made to live outdoors, and last a long time if you invest in something quality.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    I've seen a few roll-on jobs and honestly, for the work involved, and the results, I think spraying your paint looks better, lasts longer and produces overall better results.
    I agree. The preparation is the hardest part of a good paint job. If you are doing the proper preparation why not go the rest of the way and spray the paint on.

As for Rustoleum paint, It is not the best paint for a vehicle.

I built a hydraulic dump trailer about ten years ago out of used/new scrap steel. Many of the pieces already had paint on them and some of them were new unpainted rejects. When I got it assembled I decided to paint it with a paint brush and roller thinking it would be easier. I used Rustoleum paint on top of rusty metal primer.

It turned out to be more work than just spraying it. And on top of that I need to touch it up almost every year since.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper View Post
    I agree. The preparation is the hardest part of a good paint job. If you are doing the proper preparation why not go the rest of the way and spray the paint on.
    That was my point. Thanks for summing it up for me!

I've spent sometimes 60-80 hours getting things ready for paint. After all of that, I wouldn't want to go cheap on the paint or application of it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

That linked Jeep does look pretty mediocre, but this one's a bit better:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...r-rollers.html

I've never actually done the roller/Rustoleum method, but I did read about it a lot a while ago. The advantage is that it's cheaper than a decent pro paint job, and better looking than an average backyard spray job. Since you put on 10-12 coats of thinned paint, sanding in between, you've got plenty of time to correct any orangepeel or runs.

Definitely a "more time than money" deal...it's only as good as you have the persistence to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
    That linked Jeep does look pretty mediocre, but this one's a bit better:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...r-rollers.html

I've never actually done the roller/Rustoleum method, but I did read about it a lot a while ago. The advantage is that it's cheaper than a decent pro paint job, and better looking than an average backyard spray job. Since you put on 10-12 coats of thinned paint, sanding in between, you've got plenty of time to correct any orangepeel or runs.

Definitely a "more time than money" deal...it's only as good as you have the persistence to make it.

Hey, that registration is from Victoria, Australia. I am in Melbourne. Where was that picture taken please?

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    That was my point. Thanks for summing it up for me!

I've spent sometimes 60-80 hours getting things ready for paint. After all of that, I wouldn't want to go cheap on the paint or application of it.
    I agree as well, and when you consider with the fender extentions, bed post pockets and all the other 90 degree corners and tight place's that the M715 has you'd spend twice as much time cutting them in with a brush.

Your going to spend about the same amount of time prepping anyway so why not do it right and spray it. It just seems to me like it would take a heck of a lot longer to roll vs. spraying.

That's my 2 cents.
    Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
    I agree as well, and when you consider with the fender extentions, bed post pockets and all the other 90 degree corners and tight place's that the M715 has you'd spend twice as much time cutting them in with a brush.

Your going to spend about the same amount of time prepping anyway so why not do it right and spray it. It just seems to me like it would take a heck of a lot longer to roll vs. spraying.

That's my 2 cents.
    Thats for sure, I just finished painting mine, after the prep the spray job was only a couple of hours. Spray equipment is not that expensive for decent stuff, gun, regulator, and water filters etc. Can be had for less than $100 for all.