Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: clutch replacement section in manual

yes, change the ujoints on the short shaft, and change the front transfer case seals, its a long debate on what seals to use, i put NOS ones in, and they only seep now instead of leak, I also changed the seals on the shift shafts.

Duane

Default Nice warm afternoon

Motor is out and had to run off to dinner. Will see if there is crank damage on Sunday. If the motor is ok, i will start to look for all the mounts I need and seals. If the crank is damaged it will get a repower. If not I will restore it. If all is well i'll drop the tcase and seal and use new mounts as well. I only want to do this once. After all is good on the drive line we will atack the body and paint. I already have new flywheel bolds from Memphis. Is it common for the heads to pop off and the bolts to loosen? I plan on locktight, but are the bolts of poor design or poor material?

I dont know anyone else that broke the bolts other than myself and now you, but Im assuming were not the only ones, yes, loctitie is a good idea, what makes you think the crank is damaged?

keep pluggin along, how was the oil pressure on that truck before you took the engine out? might be a good time to pull a bearing cap. not that bad putting a set of bearings and an oil pump and timing chain in it right now if they are worn. if they are ok, dont worry about it.

Duane

If the flywheel was not torqued when the clutch was put in, it is quite conceivable that they could come loose. And breaking the head off is also what I would consider "normal" given they were loose. I think as long as the crankshaft and flywheel holes are not hogged out, you should be good to go with grade 8 hardware to include the star washers and Loctite wouldn't hurt. Make sure the threads of the nut and bolt are not oily so that the Loctite can do its thing if you use it.

The oil pressure was very good, It had a knocking sound coming from the bell housing, when I pulled the inspection cover the knocking got a lot louder. I could see the flywheel wobbling, then I saw the missing bolt. I was a little nervous watching that flywheel, thought it might cut my head off if it let go. I'm working today at my store, will get some done on it on Sunday, Monday I'm going out of town on a service call for most of the week.

Sounds like you have it under control. We will be waiting to hear. Thanks!

If it was spring, I'd have it under control, now its just cold.. Joe

I cant recall this ever coming up before...the bolt problem in the flywheel...pain to change has come up several times for obvious reasons but not the loosening without anyone going in there first...

Is it possible the truck had a clutch job before and someone loosened these then thinking they would make the job easier or to resurface the flywheel, then realized how hard it is to get the flywheel out or just changed their mind...years later, after they werent fully re-torqued, you get this?
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    I cant recall this ever coming up before...the bolt problem in the flywheel...pain to change has come up several times for obvious reasons but not the loosening without anyone going in there first...

Is it possible the truck had a clutch job before and someone loosened these then thinking they would make the job easier or to resurface the flywheel, then realized how hard it is to get the flywheel out or just changed their mind...years later, after they werent fully re-torqued, you get this?
    And let me throw this out. I know that some modern engines have "torque to yield" specs.

http://www.acl.co.nz/Tech/Torque%20T...0Headbolts.pdf

On those engines, the bolts were one time use. I am not saying that the M715 had those bolts. But (and that is a big word, maybe should be butt ) could it be that the bolts used were not up to the challenge? I don't know if they are fine thread but bet they are. How about some new grade 8 fine thread and new grade star washers and nuts? Let me not say that I have done a clutch in the M715; I have not (and hope I don't have to!). Just throwing out some ideas because I know it is cold where you are and I would hate for you to spend more time in the cold than absolutely necessary.

I know I'll be really lucky to get a response from a ten year old thread,but I'm gonna try. I have a 68,and the ring gear is gone...I don't have a cherry picker to pull the Tornado anyhow, so I'd like to change my flywheel your way...Duane can you give me step by step instructions on how to do it? Yes...mechanically inclined...I have already bought a 67 Chevy 230 to swap,but my conscience won't let me. Please help!!