Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 725 wont start

Default 725 wont start

I just got her home tonight and went back out about 30 min after beeing home and she wont start back up.
    When I got her the guy had a little bit of a hard time starting her up but then she fired up and was fine we made two stops on the way home and started back up fine both times (one was about 20 min and the other about 40min). I took the dist cap off and cleaned them gently and tried again but nothing happend. We just got two new batteries in her and she turns over fine it seems but nothing else. i emtied the fuel from the top filter and then tried to start it again and it had no effect but the filter did refill. Do I need to pull the plugs and clean them or is this somehting else? Im at a loss and am supposed to be leaving for a jeep show tomarow night so any thoughts are welcome.....

Thanks
    Doc

Can you check the timing? My rig once got to where sometimes it would be difficult to start, sometimes it wouldn't start at all. I checked the timing and I was like 15 or 20 degrees off of where I should have been. If I recall correctly it is supposed to be 5 degrees BTD. Started much better after that.

Your dist. might very well just be loose and it has moved while driving. Check timing and make sure all the bolts are tight holding the dist.
    68 M-715
    67 M-725

to be honest I dont have a clue as to where to adjust or check the timing.... guess ill have to have a mech look at it and go over it with me thanks!

Pull the cap back off and use a screwdriver to move the points. With the ign on, you should have a nice big blue spark. Your screwdriver will make sparks too. No sparks of any kind from the screwdriver or points means either no power to the coil or a bad coil.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Three things are needed to make a gas motor run. Spark, Fuel and Air. You've ruled out fuel it sounds like and I am going to make the leap of faith that you have air so that leaves spark. Check for spark. No spark no go. Timing just makes it run better (I know I'm simplifing things but that is it in a basic form) if it is out of time it will make all sorts of noise, but you will get fire. Sounds like you may have a weak coil. Sounds a lot like your M35 gasser there Barrman...
    Zone holster maker

Replace the coil.

Yes it does Joe. Kwai told me 5 weeks ago to "replace the coil" and I didn't thinking it was the points. 2 weeks ago when I was stuck on the side of the road, I learned. I have since replaced the coil and have no more issues with it running. Matter of fact, I have been sanding on parts for it and realized last night it has been a week since I even started it up. I crawled up there, flipped the switch and mashed down with my foot. It caught as soon as it started to turn and idled smooth. All with no pumping, choke or anything else.

Replace the coil!
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Daejavu.

Replace the coil!

Agreed with the coil. The coil can be bad or if you leave the ignition on for any length of time on these trucks the coil will die. These trucks will run with any timing setting, some better than others but they will start and run.

Doc... it's Dean... we spoke very briefly at the York show this past weekend. If you still don't have her running, let me know. I'll be up at Rausch for WERock and again for RCRocs. I know you don't want to wait till Sept, but maybe WERock weekend I can swing by and take a look.