Hello everyone - new guy here. I have a Tornado 230 engine built in 1964 that runs very well but is a bit blue smokey. She flunked the emissions test and so I can't drive the vehicle in town except on "day" permits.
Unburnt hydrocarbons are 33% over the max allowed and the carbon monoxide reading is about 20% over maximum. I have been told that there are 2 likely reasons:
First: there is too much 'pre-ignition'. The distributor is stuck (at 20 degrees BTDC) and consequently I haven't been able to adjust it at all.
Second: I was told that because of the design of the float in the carb, that the fuel level in the bowl is always at max and this will affect the mixture going into the manifold (too rich). I know FI engines must have a return line so the electric pump doesn't overheat but is there a problem in these carb engines?

Question: is there a way to attach a return fuel line to the float bowel so excess fuel can find its way back to the tank? Perhaps later carb models had a return line in the design???
Question: other than soaking the distrib base in penetrant and carefully twisting it, is there any trick to loosening it up?

Any help would be appreciated. Now that I hope you have read this far - confession time. I have a Willys wagon with this engine, not an M715. Can you forgive and help anyway? If required, I'll promise to be on the lookout for an M715 and put my Tornado into it.... Thanks in advance!
Pavel up north