Thread: Help! Stuck in NM with munched radiator

Default Help! Stuck in NM with munched radiator

We need to replace the complete unit. Does anybody have a part number (if it exists) for a radiator that will mount in the stock position in front of a Chevy 350? Is there such a thing?

Read this thread:

http://m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3956

There is also a Modine #289 radiator (that was originally for a 67 Chevelle) that will work in the stock location BUT you have to follow these directions from a member who has been there:

The Chevelle one will require the lower hose to be moved over if you have a sbc, and requires some trimming of the radiator bracket. I did the trimming first, making it unreturnable only to find out about the hose still too close to the fan and that I couldn't lower the hood entirely without contact. I had to remove the two frame brackets under the radiator to get it low enough to fit properly and then only with a rubber mallet to force it down. Really tight fit. That dented the top of my new radiator making it look like crap. It does work terrifically but I went through all this after buying it thinking it was a basic bolt in. No it ain't.

I did the modine 289 one, and didn't have to dent it - but you DO have to cut the front flange off on both sides and use approx 1" spacers on the mounting bolts.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just order a CJ Jeep to V8 Chevy conversion radiator. It bolts in with only two holes to drill so that the bolts line up. It will cool anything you put behind it.

Not to sound like I am yelling, but this is a direct bolt in!!! Everybody seems to go another route for what reason I don't know......
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

The big reason for the modine 289 is that it works well with the stock 230...with the gm v-engines, not so much...

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The big reason for the modine 289 is that it works well with the stock 230...with the gm v-engines, not so much...
    My point is, that the CJ V-8 radiator requires absolutely no mod to the truck at all, and it will cool a 230 no problem at all. The hoses all come out at the same location too. It cools my BB Chevy just fine. I can't imagine a 230 needing more than that.

You just redrill two of the holes in the radiator flange so that they line up with the holes in the core support mounting points.

Here's just one example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...spagenameZWDVW
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™