Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good way to reduce the weight of an M715

Default Good way to reduce the weight of an M715

Right now I have no choice but to flat tow my truck all the way to North Carolina. Wish I could tow it on a trailer but the weight of the trailer and the truck will just be to much the way it sits. I think if I reduce the weight some I might be able to accomplish it. This is what I am thinking:

- Take off the troop seats.
    - Take off top and window frames
    - Take off tailgate
    - Change tires to a smaller size (hardest thing to do)

Anything else to help reduce the weight so my 1/2 ton can tow it on a trailer?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

At most you may only reduce the weight by a couple hundred pounds with that stuff.

The seats up front, the batteries, and even possibly the doors would also help, but you're still towing both heavy piece of steel and a brick too.

Pullling the driveshafts wouldn't hurt to eliminate the extra drag. Smaller tires would reduce the weight of them, but you will be spinning the axles faster going down the road with the smaller diameter, so that may create a heat issue.

Plus, you are still going to have to ship the heavy stuff anyway that you remove, so it wouldn't savein fuel or costs, only the weight your half ton pickup will be pulling and stopping.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Well, I don't know but it seems to me if your half-ton is well maintained, has good brakes, dosn't say Ford anywhere on it and you keep the speed down and stop at fairly regular intervals it shouldn't be an issue. I've seen people pull mobile homes with half tons. Seemed stupid to me, but they got away with it.

I agree with 2a.

The first one I bought was pulled from Tennesse to Iowa by a ?99? 1/2 ton 4x4 chevy with the 5.3 and 4.11 gears. Heavy duty trailer to boot.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Randy, whatever I take off will be shipped by the Marines for free, it will just go into my packup. I have the flat tow part figured out, but I am trying to reduce the weight so I can put it on a trailer, which I feel more comfortable doing for the longer distance.

So I should be able to put my truck on a u-haul trailer and tow just fine?

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop View Post

So I should be able to put my truck on a u-haul trailer and tow just fine?
    I don't see why not. As mentioned above a well maintained truck should handle it no problem.

Be sure the trailer has good brakes. That would be my main concern is stopping rather than pulling. Most anything will pull it within reason, just a panic or sudden stop might make things interesting. Also be sure to load it so that the weight is centered over the axles.

If the USMC is shipping the extras, I'd take everything off within reason that would unbolt.

U haul is pretty picky with there trailer rentals. Might want to check with them to see if they will rent it to you for what you want to haul. What type of hitch is on the 1/2 ton? They will probably check the weight of towed and towing capacity of vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by DAVEJ View Post
    U haul is pretty picky with there trailer rentals..
    Only if they know what's on the trailer.......You're towing your Geo Metro right, PC?

That's OK, but if the unfortunate was to happen,buying a Uhaul trailer,another 715,and paying for the property damage might get costly. I guess my old age has made me cautious. A 1/2 ton truck pulling a 715 seems to be pushing the limit. My son hauled mine about 100 miles on a trailer and his truck was set up to tow his mudding truck,a full size blazer. Even with the upgrades to the truck it was overloaded. The other question is ,will it even fit on the Uhaul,and what is the trailer rated for? A burned out trailer wheel bearing in the middle of nowhere,and not able to call Uhaul,Well anyway enough doomsday. It's your call.

DJ

I flat towed my m-715 from Great Falls, Montana to Seattle, granted I had the truck to handle it but It towed great! You have those new warn hubs on it now, unlock them and remove the rear drive line as mentioned and go easy, bet It'll do fine. I scratch built my tow bar and realized it could have been a little longer, it gives the tow vehicle a little more time to react. I also disconnected the sreering rod at the pass. side steering arm to eliminate the steering gear and wheel from flailing around when taking 90' turns.