Thread: Clutch release ball joint assembly

Default Clutch release ball joint assembly

Hey guys,

Apparently my ball joint assembly at the end of the clutch release rod (if that's what you call it) is worn out and the ball joint constantly falls out of it's socket. Though I think this part is not a stock item as this release system looks different from the one displayed in my 1967 military manual. My vehicle has a 4 cylinder Hercules diesel in it, which leads me to believe that the transmission is also not stock, thus leading up to the clutch release.

Memphis Equipment tells me they only carry stock items. Anyone know where I could start looking for this part? It looks simple enough. All I would need is the threaded-on ball joint assembly end piece as the other side looks just fine...so far.

Thanks,
    Chris

looks like the socket itself is stretched - could you weld the hole shut a little? You'd have to have the ball in there first and be careful not to weld the ball.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

You should be able to tighten the flat bladed screw on the end of the arm. That is why it is there, to allow the ball to come out.

If it won't move, try adding heat. It should be able to tighten down on the ball once it moves full range.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

If you can't get an original or tighten the original, replace the ends with heim joints, and through bolt it to the arm. It's fine threads I'm pretty sure the heim ends are too.

Yes its orignal I recently replaced mine. Among others A B lynn has them you get the whole rod w/ one joint made on, the other screw on end is a separate part. You prob. wont be able to make a durable repair of the old one.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Looks like you could benefit from a home-brew solution. I did something similar on one of my old CJ's:

Make a straight rod with threads on either end for a real heim joint. Then just use a bolt with an all-metal lock nut. works great, and the clutch is smoother too.

If you look out on the web there are several commercial versions available for CJ's that could give you some ideas on where to start.

From the looks of that, I think I would be working on finding a upgrade solution, rather than replacing the stock part, for two reasons. First, that looks a little on the "light-duty" side for me considering what it is pushing, especially considering the clutch behind your diesel engine probably has stronger springs than the original clutch. Second, a heim-jointed linkage, built a little heavier, will provide you a more durable solution, with parts that are easier to replace if needed. .