Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Default Spark Plugs

Ok I know this has been hashed over a million times in the past but I have a few questions before I go buy new plugs.
    1.) The tune-up manual calls for the original plugs to be AC # WR43L. When I called NAPA to cross referance that number they came up with Autolite 2384. Has anyone run the 2384 yet?
    2.) Does the 2344 Work? The last big thread kind of died off before there was an answer.
    3.) Does anyone make the correct size shielded plug? ie champion,AC,NGK etc?

I dont think AC still makes any off the shielded plugs anymore, just Autolite and Champion. the Autolite catalog lists 3 part numbers w the same specs: the 2285,2344
    and the 2384. 2344 is the one most MV vendors sell, however the 2384 is listed by autolite as the cross to WR43L, and 2344 crosses to WR43LR (resistor?). All the autolites show as resistor in the specs. Champion cross to 2384 is XLM12, none given for 2344 but I would expect its the same. The Champions are much more than the Autolite's because they are cadmiumn plated.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I wonder what the differance between the 2344 and 2384 is? Heat range?

It appears the last number is heat range...the 3rd digit has to do with the resistor...if the 3rd digit is even, is a resistor and odd, its not...heres a link to where I got the info:

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/autol...ringsystem.pdf

I wonder if the higher range adds more resistance? There has to be some kind of differance.

I agee but I dont see what online....look up autolite and give them a call...I would.

OK I"m so ed confused on plugs for this truck its scary the 2344's are on nation wide back-order. So I thought I'll try the champs but I have seen 3 differant part #'s 612 cross referance to the 2344's and 603 is what I found in another post from George walker....but then again in an old spark plug thread I found XML15y.
    Lets start from the begining what is the original spark plug # used in these trucks? I can then use that for a cross referance from NAPA. On the tune-up chart I found AC# WR43L

Part of the problem w/ champion is that the plug type say xlm15 isnt the actual part number for that plug, the part number is a 3 digit one such as 603. So a 603 is a xlm15
    they arent 2 different items.(I used those numbers as an example, not as a fact). Online info from all the plug manufacturers is incomplete at best. I hope the national back order isnt a discontinuation. Since they seem to have the same specs what about the 2384 are they avial, an the 2385 is the same jus one step up in heat range.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

So what is everyone else using? Should I just go with the plugs that cross referance to the stock #?

Use the 2344.