Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake drum retaining screw removal

Default Brake drum retaining screw removal

I started working on the brakes while awaiting other parts, and I ran into an issue many have had removing the brake drum screws. While digging for a chisel to "pop" the screw and maybe brake it loose, I see a rolling wedge bar. Long story short, this worked awesomely. I engaged the wedge in the slot of the screw and began applying gentle couter clockwise pressure on the long side while tapping the wedge with a ball pean hammer, I was able to brake the screws loose in about 20 seconds each. This is while my son was keeping the drum from turning. Thought I'd share that with the group.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I ended up using a nail punch and hammer on one end of the slot to pop mine loose. Buggered up the screw a little, but not bad. This was after having broken a reverse-threaded bolt extractor bit on one of the others. Those things are tough.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

Must be a common theme..LOL

I was just messing with mine last night. Used a big screw drivers that fit the slot, shank on the driver is square and I used a cresent wrench on it to get the leverage I needed.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Must be a common theme..LOL

I was just messing with mine last night. Used a big screw drivers that fit the slot, shank on the driver is square and I used a cresent wrench on it to get the leverage I needed.
    I did the same thing on a couple of them until I broke the screwdriver. I thought maybe someone had welded those darn things in.
    1967 M715 w/w #11812

In the past I've had to weld a nut to them and then use a socket on it, so yeah, they can be stubborn!

Weld through the hole in the nut and you won't risk welding the screw to the drum and you also leave the outside in good condition for the socket. Same trick and the heat/cool cycle from welding will work to free many other stubborn/stripped bolts.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Use the silver Permatex thead lubricant when you put it back together.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Impact driver works as well.

I ended up using a torch. Sprayed it with penetrating oil, waited while the oil was drawn in, then put a chisel in an impact driver ( handheld, strike with mallet type). Someone else advised to tighten the screw first, that breaks it free. Then it comes out easily. Worked great for me.

Mine wouldnt move either way...heated them and tried and the head stripped like it was made of butter...wasnt that hot either...we stripped one without heat thus he move to heat as a last resort.

If anyone else has them that bed in the future, you can drill through the screw with a 1/4 inch drill bit...then drill with a 3/8ths bit...the bit will go in until you hit the bottom of the screw head taper and the head will break off the shaft. Take the drum off and the stubs unscrewed with a pair of vise grips...the 1/4 inch hole allowed the stubs to crush a little which broke the threads free and let them spin out easy.

A few of us have been unlucky enough to have to go that way...hopefully the above posts take care of the rest!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwai View Post
    Impact driver works as well.
    That is what I used as well (the kind you hit with a hammer), along with some WD-40.
    1967 M715
    2010 SVT Raptor