Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would this be a good deal? 6.2L diesel $600

Default Would this be a good deal? 6.2L diesel $600

-- Tim Taylor

That sounds tempting, but it is out of my league in regards to motor prices, etc. However, I've seen your writings discussing a 350 small block transplant in the future, and as a buyer, I'd be more interested in a diesel powered M715 than gasoline.

I've often thought about how cool a diesel M715 would be. Off the charts. And riding in Oilcan's at the last FE confirmed it!

I've got an SM465/NP205 combination in my garage right now. It'd sure make a nice project, wouldn't it?!

$600 sounds like a very good deal here, but I'm really not sure what this is all about. I'll copy the text of the ad in this thread....
    -- Tim Taylor

THE AD:

This post is for a very low hours "J - heavy duty" U.S. Military, General Motors, 6.2L Diesel engine. This engine is straight from Fort Lewis, WA and is in great condition. The fuel lines are capped and still full of pink diesel. 540lb steel, airtight Military crate is included. The only reason they're getting rid of these is to upgrade to the 6.5 turbo motors.

This was going to be my summer Suburban project, but I have other priorities to take care of... The crate alone is worth $500 - $600. You know how much a good Stanadyne injection pump is worth - this is a great deal to whoever gets it.

I can deliver for an extra $100 if need be.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can find the cable to my camera. Sorry.

Call me if you're serious and I can arrange for you to come take a look. Cash only. $600-OBO.
    -- Tim Taylor

sounds like a good deal if it is indeed a runner.
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715

Default nashville too

i've seen two separate adds on Craiglist here in Nashville for nearly the same thing. one is a garage advertising under "DeiselFixers" in Nashville and the other is a guy in murfreesboro. i talked with the guy in Murfreesboro - he says he's retired MSG USAR and now has a blasting business. business is slow and he has bought about 40 of the 6.2 takeouts and is going through them, tearing down top and bottom and re-selling the good ones "garunteed". he seemed alright on the phone. seriously considering it myself. both adds told the same story, low mile hummvee takeouts. but these would be mid-80's motors that even though are low miles, they might have been treated like the ones in my unit.

buyer beware - if you can get an exchange warranty to cover a "no-cranker" that would be best.

on a side note - just missed a craiglist offering of a 3/4 ton 1983 Chevy with a 6.2 and bad transmission listed for $350...bad day...

jay

Tim, I'd offer 450 and go up to 500. An exchange deal would be great.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

How long has the add been posted? do a search on the specifics to see if it has been posted before. Call and offer $300-$400. If you want it negotiate from there.

All of the 6.2 Gm diesels I have seen were asking $1,000. If you get the crate too, then its a good deal, I think. I think that all of the others i saw were pulled out of CUCVs. I have a GMC Suburban with a 6.2 also, and have been wondering for a year now, what the difference between military and regular diesel motors was. If it would be worth it to put the motor in my M715? My Suburban was a 4WD, 1/2 ton, school bus, dual-exhaust, lockout hubs, overdrive. but the body is swiss cheese, and I had an accident this winter anyways.

Chime, some of the civy 6.2 motors had more emission restrictions than the military trucks. The J code indicates the least smog and most stock power.
    "We are here for the meeting!"