Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shackle flip questions .... need answers asap

Default shackle flip questions .... need answers asap

i'm doing my rear shackle flip and i have somes questions because it ain't working like it supposed to ...

1- I have drilled the 4 3/8 rivets that retain the front hanger; but how do you fliped it ... it's not even moving ... does it weled from the inside ??

2- Axle problem ... i'm swaping a srw 14bolts ... with rear disk brake conversion .. is that normal that i will be able to bolt everything but due to the width of the stock leaves i will not be able to install my rear caliper ... does i really need to relocated the leaves under the frame ?

3- If i need to relocated the springs .... does anybody already done it ?? I need ideas hoe to mount the front hanger !!

Thanks ....
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

1. There is a weld on the back of the pin in the frame. Until you get that ground or drilled enough to let go, it will be stuck.

2. The calipers have been hung upside down on the rear axle in order to get clearance...I know there was a trick to bleeding them but I cant remember what it was.

3. You dont have to relocate the springs.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    The calipers have been hung upside down on the rear axle in order to get clearance...I know there was a trick to bleeding them but I cant remember what it was.
    Probably one of several things: either use a vacuum bleeder, a pressure bleeder or use an fluid injector to force the fluid back in to the caliper forcing the air out the master cylinder.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    1. There is a weld on the back of the pin in the frame. Until you get that ground or drilled enough to let go, it will be stuck.

2. The calipers have been hung upside down on the rear axle in order to get clearance...I know there was a trick to bleeding them but I cant remember what it was.

3. You dont have to relocate the springs.
    1- OK so i will need to drop the tank on the driver side ........ is from the inside of the frame ; i need to grind all the weld around the pin ??

2- will do this way .... will find something for bleeding ....

3- OUF ....
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

doen anybody have a pic of where to grind exactly or what the parts look like when renoved from the truck .... this will give a good idea !!

Thanks
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

The location where back of the pin is on the inside of the frame has a small hole in the frame and the weld is in there...I would have to look again but it may be inside a webbing piece too...can be gotten to though...I took a pic for someone once of this weld...

If I remember right, the bleeder ends up on the bottom of the caliper instead of the top, high point...I sorta recall bleeding them upright and then inverting...maybe? Gotta get that trapped bubble outta there.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Yes, you could gravity bleed them in their regular orientation, then install them upside down.

It actually may not be terribly hard to redrill and install a bleeder screw on top. Some years back United (NAPA) used to sell bleeder screw repair kits for broken or stripped bleeder screws which had an insert that already had the seat for the bleeder screw in it, and was threaded on the outside. It came with an appropriate tap, and installation tool. I used them before to add a bleeder screw to some master cylinders, and other places where a screw wasn't originally used.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I have a foggy recollection that was mentioned...

thanks for the reply about the caliper !!!

I'm still just not sure for the pin to grind ....
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

The frame ha a hole about the size of a pencil on the back side. The pin does not come through the frame but sits against the outside rail. The weld is in the hole in the frame.