Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tire Removal - Split Rims

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Lockring rims are one of those things that send people scurrying because of the horror stories. Everyone has a story about how someone lost their head trying to seat a bead. I am sure its happened, and I am sure someone will chime in, but itis rare and it is usually because of operator error, not a freak accident.

Three piece split rims are a different animal and can be dangerous, but no more so than any other rim/tire combo if you know what you are doing and are careful.

If the rim is clean, the lockring clean, and it is installed correctly, it will pop into place firmly and when the tire bead slides up around it, it will hold it into place. There really isn't much way it can blow off on these style rims unless you had it so badly installed it wouldn't even look correct, or you were trying to mount an incorrect size tire. Whenever I inflate stock military lockring rims, I don't stand on them or over them, but I don't do that with any other tire either. I have never caged them or chained them and I have never had a problem either. If you try to maount a damaged rim or tire, then yes, you are asking to get hurt.

Not saying you shouldn't be cautious, but a little education goes far further than fear and rumor.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    Are you saying that the rings can blow off the first time weight is put on them? Could someone clear this up for me? I'd like to save the money, but I'd also like to stay safe.

Zach
    The rings can come off when inflated, if not seated properly. At STTC, they put the wheel in a cage to inflate it with a locking air chuck. I may be wrong but I believe it is an OSHA requirement to use a cage.
    SFC, HQ,129th Sig Co, PAARNG, Vietnam Era

When I mounted my last set, I put the tire on a creeper and slid it under the truck. Used a locking chuck with a air regulator to air it up.

Spilt rims are the ones that most of the horror stories are from. It is illegal for a tire shop to work on them. Split rings are not dangerous if common sense is used. I've changed way over a hundred of them from my days of owning a trucking service,never had a problem. Get a locking air chuck for sure.

It might have been crazy but in my short stint in the Army, I must have broke 100 rims, we would do the repair or tire change flip them around so the ring would blow into the ground and sit on it and fill.

Quote Originally Posted by vacca rabite View Post
    Every time that I talk myself into saving a little cash an using my stock wheels, I read something like the above. Are you saying that the rings can blow off the first time weight is put on them? Could someone clear this up for me? I'd like to save the money, but I'd also like to stay safe.
    I wasn't trying to scare anybody but I have some first hand experience with failures. You must treat these wheels with the respect they deserve. Like most have said, if the all the surfaces are clean and care is taken there should be no issues. I have had a lock ring come off of a mounted tire on a piece of equipment. Not sure what the cause was, had to have been improperly seated by the tire guy that mounted it. The incident where I was nearly injured was caused by carelessness and stupidity on my part. I didn't follow the proper mounting procedure after also making a bad choice attempting to use a damaged lock ring. I have a colleague that says "if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough" and that certainly applied to me. Follow the great instructions and suggestions given above, be extra careful, and enjoy the money you are saving on wheels. I use the stock wheels and intend to continue.

I think the name of the rims is "split ring safety rims" to differentiate them from the "split rims" and their hazardous reputation

The bead won't fit around the ring unless it is set in the groove, thus physically unable to pop off. So unless there is damage of some sort, our style wheels are generally quite safe. Due caution is, of course, called for however.

Of all the stories of split rims or whatnot failing and injuring people, has anyone heard of an M715 wheel doing so? I haven't....

Quote Originally Posted by pistolnut View Post
    If you've never done it, find a truck or equipment tire guy and pay him to do a couple so you can watch. Well worth if for the education, they are fast and make it look easy.
    Better yet, simply attend any National FE that Barrman is at!
    -- Tim Taylor

I have heard of 1 failing...it was a wheel that had been broken down, redone, had a fair amount of rust and scale knocked off and then reassembled...the lip on the ring was really worn from what was reported, and the groove was also not so pristine.

I remember that truck had been sitting for years and was in water, at least the bottom third or so of the wheels.

After assembly, it came apart during inflation...the ring was pointed into the ground so a thud was heard but no injury or damage to anyone or anything else.

Basically, it was a recipe for disaster, almost a worse case scenario...abuse and neglect of a high order...thus a failure...like most things that are treated that way...

Yep, free tire change demonstration 1 hour before sun down after I have eaten my meal.

I forgot that you watched me dismount and then mount a pair of trailer tires in 2006 and then the split ring multiple dismount and mounts last summer in Colorado.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw