Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTV and the windshield weather strip

Default RTV and the windshield weather strip

Had an idea but before I did anything I wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think.
    Everybody says that the new Memphis EQ. windshield gasket (the one between the frame and dash) still leaks despite being new.
    What if...you smeared some vasilene in a thin layer on top of the dash and then put one fine bead of RTV on the gasket and used the hooks to form it into place. Once cured you could lower the windshield and clean off the vasilene.
    Anybody ever tried anything like this or do I have to become a test subject?

My installed in December 2006 gasket does not leak. Matter of fact, it not only doesn't leak, it looks 100% better than the 40 year old one I had that did not leak either.

I think you will find a lot of cases where the cowl is wavy or leaks around the wiper arm gromets (You do have a gromet around the wiper arms, right?) and it gets blamed on the new gasket.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

As I don't have a 715, I don't know. Is the area the gasket goes flat? If it is you could use wax paper and not have to clean anything.

Well I just installed the windshield W/O any adhesive or RTV of any kind. It looks good. I will wait till the first big rain I drive through to see if it's needed. BTW, I'm still shopping for some wipers. I'm going to use 2 speed, adj. sweep boat wipers. (electric) Great idea on the wax paper!

I'd stay away from the RTV. It can cause rust to form where it meets the metal.
    Zone holster maker

When I replaced the gasket in the 725 , I used windshield butyl to seal it . The panel trucks I work on have the same type gasket and after some years they sometimes leak .Maybe I'm just a worry wort about these things . Just did not want to mess with it later .

We had severe rain here this afternoon. 3-1/2" in a little more than an hour. The power just came back on as a matter of fact. Flooding in town and stuff like that. I was in the M715, but only had the bikini top on it. I went through a few washed over spots in the road that put water over the hood. None of it came through the windshield/cowl gap. Lots came around the outside of the windshield frame and in from the bed, but the top the dash was dry.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Man, now thats what I call rain! I love to see that on video, a 715 pushing through water up to the hood!

The water probably wasn't higher than the hubs or maybe bottom of the bumper. But, my bow wave pushed the water up. I probably shouldn't have hit that first big puddle in 3rd gear with the power on either. I couldn't see the curbs so I wasn't able to judge the depth too good until I was in it. The rest of them I hit at idle in 3rd or 2nd and didn't get a bow wave action.

Ok, so best source for this? memphis/vpw/ablinn?

Anyone checked lately to see who has them?
    67 M725 67 M715 68 M715