Thread: 205 output yoke

Default 205 output yoke

The 205 I installed in my truck has the round plate front drive shaft output for the double cardan style joint on the GM trucks. My terminology may be incorrect, but I know first hand exactly what they look like. Anyhow, is that a stronger or otherwise better setup than the fixed yoke type output that was on the 200? I have to mod the driveshafts either way, and I'm looking to use whichever getup is better.

The Cardon type is good for situations of extreme angles. The M715 isn't going to move that much. Besides, the cross member will probably be in the way for the Cardon type. I would suggest you follow the simplicity rule and just use a regular u-joint.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

According to the authorites on such things, the flat drive flange has more splines and is stronger than the earlier yoke style. The strongest possible setup is the front output assy. from a FORD 205. It was the only factory offered 35-spline setup, it will go right into the GM version 205, as the majority of the parts are the same or compatable.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    According to the authorites on such things, the flat drive flange has more splines and is stronger than the earlier yoke style. The strongest possible setup is the front output assy. from a FORD 205. It was the only factory offered 35-spline setup, it will go right into the GM version 205, as the majority of the parts are the same or compatable.
    So I could just swap the yoke or do I need to tear into it a little further. My brother has a divorced Ford 205 and mine is a married flanged GM style.

You will need to swap the entire output assembly, or at least the shaft and yoke. Go check out the Off Road Design website. Steve has lots of good info there.
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

The Fords have 32 spline front and rear outputs (not 35). The Chevy will be either a 10 spline 1310 or a 30 spline flanged front output and 32 spline rear if it has a fixed yoke (not a slip yoke).

The Ford front output will bolt right in place of the Chevy front output. You must swap both the shaft and the yoke.

Both transfer cases run "cardan" joints (u-joints). The GM 3R CV for the 30 spline flange is just a double cardan vs. the Ford's single cardan joint.

Here is the link to Offroad Design's NP205 tech page:
    http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/NP205tech.htm

Oops....He's right about the 32-spline output. Sorry, I had been building D60 diffs earlier in the day and musta had 35 spline stuck on my brain, 'cause that's what we were using for AXLES......
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB