Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare tire support

Default Spare tire support

Whats my best way out on a spare tire hanger? Will any other makes fit??or mybe some one has one lying around ?Trying to get another project done. thanks to all of you .

Nothing else fits...either find a spare someone has or see if you can borrow someones and maake a copy...

Since this discussion is in "Open Discussion" and not the "Stock Tech" forum, I'll share my idea here regarding a spare tire mount. Since a lot of folks run taller tires that are not small enough to fit in the stock tire carrier location, I've often thought it would be nice to mount a spare on the outside portion of the passenger side area of the cargo box, directly opposite the spare fuel canister.

If done properly, an inverted radius lower steel member would be welded to the box and an upper steel support to the box rails. The steel undercarriage would support the weight of the tire, while the upper side connection keeps the tire balanced and located properly.

Now, I understand that may folks like to run the big, fat balloon tires, so side visibility would be jeopardized with such nonsense. Personally, I like a tall skinny tire, so the stock mirrors may provide adequate visibility once extended out to their maximum.

I like this idea, but I'm not a welder, nor am I in a hasty mode to spend the time to fabricate such a design. I just thought it an appropriate time to share my thoughts on an oversized spare tire location. Besides, there is little else worse that crowding useful cargo space with a spare tire.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

If you are running your stock tires, then hang your tire underneath.

Anything else, put it in the bed. Lifting it up there would be much easier.

Having just had to utilize my spare Sunday, I can tell you that I'd hate to lift anything heavier than the stock 100lb tire/rim back up to hang it even if it did fit under the truck. Getting the tire onto the support by yourself, then using a long steel bar to lift the carrier back up with the tire still requires some serious effort, and on a 95 degree day, I can only imagine it would be a real blast.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I was thinking the same. looking at my stock M715 with the windshield folded down ,It reminded me of the early international wepon carriers that the Marines used.

Some of the M37's carried the spare over the drivers door too.....

People have moved the rear crossmember forward and been able to mount an 11.00-16 tire there...

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    People have moved the rear crossmember forward and been able to mount an 11.00-16 tire there...
    That sounds like a good idea. If you used one of those little cable hoists like the full size GM's did, you'd probably save a lot of back getting it back under the truck!

I believe that may have been used as well...we should have a link to a thread for that...

Here ya go...Fisherman is THE guy on this!!!!

http://m715zone.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6758