Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Block or Big Block Chevy Swap

Default Small Block or Big Block Chevy Swap

Give me some feedback on what you think is better for this truck. A small block or big block?

I'd answer, but you are being way too specific with your question.

The best answer to give you is: Whatever you want and can afford. Either will work great and it just boils down to what you want the truck to do and how much you want to spend to do it.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Big block, of course!!

A long stoke small block versus a short stroke big block OR a high RPM small block with high horsepower versus a low RPM big block that has gobs of low end torque OR something in between?

It depends on:

A: what you want to use it for, not just off roading but mudding, rockcrawling, sand drags, whatever...as well as how much highway use with what kind of load and will there be towing too?

B: Do you plan to use an automatic or a manual? What gears are you gonna run? Do you need a granny low in the trans or do you plan to not do the rockcrawling end but need wheel speed like mud boggers do?

C: Tcase issues come up as to how much gearing you need and, if it is married to the trans, well, it has to be a do-able union...if divorced, more options but can you get the gears and outputs you want?

D: Depending on how you answer the above depends on how much you need to upgrade axles to hold whatever you decided on...

E: Are you uncomfortable with Ford or Chevy or Mopar? Do you have one or more engines laying around? Is money a driving factor or doesnt matter? How about ease of swap?

You need to take the whole vehicle and its intended purpose into account and then work from there to build a platform that meets those needs.....without us having any idea what those needs are, there is no way we can give you any kind of enlightened answer beyond what others have already posted...

I hope that makes sense...
    Lord send your Holy Ghost into our hearts and make the desire of our hearts Your Will.

Pro-choice, that's a LIE, babies don't choose to die!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrok93003 View Post
    Give me some feedback on what you think is better for this truck. A small block or big block?
    I have a good 454 bbc and a 350 sbc that needs to be rebuilt. I want to use the stock t98 and transfer case. I don't drive it on the highway that much but I do drive it to work a lot, about 10 to 15 miles going 35-40 mph. But still need it to do good in the mud and climbing hills.

stock gears,and tires? use the 350.i put a 350 in a 715 it got 10 m.p.g. and was faster than my big block 725 that gets 5 m.p.g.

After seeing Joe/Ia's truck work the way it does, I'd strongly consider the 454/700r4 (or the 4l80e).

Great torque off road and the OD+38" tires allows him to cruise 65 on the highway as long as he wants. Stock axles and gears and IIRC he gets better than 10mpg...almost thinking 11-13, that's with a used 454 with way over 100k on the clock. Thinking it's been in his truck for 10-12 years now.

Good combo with little to no increase in fuel consumption over a 350.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

My 396/NV4500 gets 11-13 mpg @55 mph without a trailer and 9-10 mpg at the same speed pulling another M715 on a 2k pound trailer. That is with the XZL tires too.

Doug, I agree, I want my truck to be like Joes when it grows up.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

I was just pondering this myself. I have a neighbor that scraps at least on 3rd gen camaro a week. I'm going to be getting a 350 TBI off him in a couple of weeks. It's affordable and he's a GM tech. That was my deciding factor. I'm also getting two SM 465 trannies this weekend. I'm also getting a 205 for cheap. Again deciding factor. Easily replacable parts, cheap parts and easy to trouble shoot. I really wnated to keep aJeep drivetrain, but I want fuel injection and to inject a 360 or 401 is expensive and kinda hard. Look around what's near you, that'll help.