Thread: Driveshaft mods w/14bolt ?

Default Driveshaft mods w/14bolt ?

I'm in the middle of swapping in a married SM465/205 combo and have a 14bolt for the rear also. At this time, my plan is to only do the tranny and T-case since I don't yet have a front D60 to match my 14 bolt rear. BUT, since I have to have my driveshaft lengthened for the married combo, I don't want to have to modify it again when I swap the rear later. So I need to know if there is a big difference (more than an inch) in driveshaft lengths when swapping the rear for a 14bolt?

I have not done the swap myself. But, I have read about many on here. Nobody ever mentioned having to do the drive shafts when putting the CUCV axles under a M715. Now, if you get a custom shaft made for the stock axle and say the people making it have a different idea of what "right" is for length than what Kaiser thought. You could wind up in a situation where it is just a hair to long or short. I think that is going to be a long shot though.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Well good. I don't really want to pay for the shaft twice, nor do I want to have a two wheel drive truck if I swap rears right now.

14 bolt has a different size flange so you will have to use a different driveshaft flange or an adapter u-joint.

Not to be a thread jumper-what do you guys think is a good price for a D60 and 14 bolt pair of axles? Trying to work a deal on a pair right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk715 View Post
    Not to be a thread jumper-what do you guys think is a good price for a D60 and 14 bolt pair of axles? Trying to work a deal on a pair right now.

Less than 1K.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Guy wanted a grand-front has been totally redone (stock-no upgrades-hubs rotor calipers etc). I'm trying to beat him up a little on the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampthang View Post
    14 bolt has a different size flange so you will have to use a different driveshaft flange or an adapter u-joint.
    Shoot, I hadn't even thought of that. Maybe I'll just regear the stock axles and save the 14 bolt for my other one later.

I would think you could find a d-shaft in a salvage for a 14 bolt fairly easy and cheap. If you found the right one, it would have the correct yoke on the axle end and maybe on the t-case end as well.

I found my last one (still had to modify it though) by taking the measurements I needed to a salvage. They had a pile of about 15-20 shafts and let me dig through them.