Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pondering a parts truck

Default Pondering a parts truck

When I bought my truck, one of the missing parts was the gas tank. Searching through the posts hasn't got me too far in finding a replacement yet. There is a '76(?) J-truck just down the road from me that I've heard has an asking price of $200. I stopped by one day to look but the owner wasn't home. In looking the truck over I noticed there was no engine/transmission. The gas cap was off and the filler was rusted pretty bad so I didn't go any further with this truck. What I'm thinking about now is going back to check on it again. If the gas tanks are that hard to find, I guess I could adapt that one into the truck if it's in good enough shape to clean up. There are other parts off this truck that could fit/adapt to the M715 possibly. The J-truck has a set of bucket seats, maybe some brake parts etc. that I could probably use.

Any thoughts?

I'd snatch it up, snag everything you might ever need and in the end, the scrap price for the remains should net you at least half your purchase price back.

Scrapping the left overs... I hadn't thought about that. Thanks

Can't have too many parts.....
    '67 M715 '42 GPW '45 MB

The problem I have is justifying another vehicle around here but I think that's solved now. I'll stop by this weekend and get a better look at what the J-truck has to offer.

Bought a 73 from Ebay and stole the power steering box and parts-which now work great on my 715. I also grabbed the bench seat and all dash switches and gauges-see info in the modified tech section. I then sold the axles, trans and transfer case and made my money back. Sold the rest for scrap metal--and still have a host of little parts to sell/use door hinges, glass, radio, rear view mirror, side mirrors, taillights, side marker lights, door handles, window handles yada yada yada-I've already made money by adding power steering (which was what i wanted off the truck in the first place) I paid 100 bucks for mine.

I'll be stopping by this weekend to see about the parts truck.

I haven't geen able to catch the owner of the J truck at home yet. But I was given a Dodge 1/2 ton truck to scavenge parts yesterday. It has a slant 6 in it but I think I can use some parts off the truck. The engine has me wondering though. I know nothing about it or the 318 that's in my truck now. I was going to snag the tranny out of the dodge anyway. Would it be any benefit to grab the engine or is the 318 a better fit for my truck? I'm not a Mopar guy so I'm walking into waters I haven't been before with these engines.

I'd keep the 318. Just my preference. If you have A/C on the Dodge, it may have the york compressor which would be a could part to keep for an on board air conversion. Also, the alternator off the slant six should work with your 318 too, depending on the year.

Thanks! I think I'll just leave the 6 in the Dodge and get everything else I might need. Maybe I can run into the owner of the J truck soon so I can bring it home for the rest of my parts list.