Thread: Dash guages

Default Dash guages

Are all the dash guages the same from the M series trucks? I want to get a clean used or NOS set for the 715 I'm getting.

There are differences...like some of the oil gauges go from 0-60 or 0-120 psi and require different sending units...some have different style lettering and numbering, larger fonts and wider or narrower lines...etc.

There are numbers on the gauge faces...if you match those to the ones you are looking at, you would be good to go.

I only have 3 of the stock gauges to work with including the speedo...I dont have the stock fuel or oil gauges...I will try to get the others for you here in a bit.

The gauges have an MS number, military part number, and a S.W. number, the Stewart Warner company pat number...they made the gauges...heres the 3 I have:

Speedo:
    MS39021-2
    S.W.503-C

Temperature:
    MS24543-2
    S.W.505-S

Battery Generator:
    MS24532-2
    S.W.504-H

Hopefully someone can post the other 2 so we have them all.

When looking at used gauges for M stuff. Remember that for the last 60 years, there were 3 different versions.

AC Delco in the M37/M35 series were the first "modern" 24V gauges after all the WWII stuff. They had Douglas connectors on the back with glass lenses. They will work in a M715 with no modifications but look just a little different.

Then the SW gauges in the M715 were next with Packard fittings on the back.

Sometime in the '80's or later, they started being replaced with plastic lensed plastic housed cheap things. "PSI" go replaced with the little oil cup and "TEMP" got replaced with a little thermometer symbol. I have a few of these I use to "test" my wiring with. I figure it is no great loss it they burn up.

The oil psi gauge stock in a M715 is:

MS24541-2
    SW 505 T

Fuel is:

MS24544-2
    SW 505 R
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

This company seems to carry all the supplied numbers.

http://www.clarkbrothers.net/pdf/GC0906GaugeCatalog.pdf
    Go to page 20.

After looking they have the same part numbers without the stewart warner designation and they appear to be slightly differant.
    Do the old ones use glass lenses then? The only reason I ask is the guages in the 715 I'm picking up have a lot of haze on the glass. You could probly clean that up with some steel wool or something.
    Last edited by pghjeeper; April 22nd, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

The glass can be cleaned. The problem is getting the glass out and then back in again to clean the inside. At least, that was my problem the one time I tried. Buggered up the metal trying to bend it back.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Im not sure the old ones are actuall glass or not so i wouldnt use steel wool or anything so ruff, I had used jewelers rouge before, its what they use to polish watch lenses.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

I don't think they used plastic back then.....but I will try some jewlers rouge first.