Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater switches

Default Heater switches

Whats everyone running for heater switches? I know I could run a straight on/off-My DD has that setup right now as I've not been able to track why the switch isnt working. I've converted to 12volt--I've got a switch I took out of a J truck-4 position-dont know if I can reuse that or not. I'd like to have the option of not having it screaming all the time at high speed.

In order to get three speeds from a four-position switch from the J truck you need the resistor pictured below on the side of your heater box.

These are pictures from my 1976 J10 with a four-position switch on the dash (Off, Low, Med, High)

Heater Switch

Three terminal resistor –outside view.

Three terminal resistor – inside view.

This is the sketch I made for Todd's (fisherman) truck. He has a three-position switch.

If you need a diagram for three speeds – just let know I'll draw one for ya'

Three speed diagram would rock--The switch you have pictured is the one I have-4 position out of 73 J truck.

I used a toggle switch my dash. I have High/low and off position. Again thanks to Amphi for the wiring diagram.

So basically you used a two position "on" switch and ran it thru the resistor?
    I'm probably going to use the Jtruck one just to be thrifty since I already have it but just wondering. Trying to do the same with the light switch as well--looks like a GM pull switch to me.

Tomahawk715

Did you save the connecter on the back of the four position heater switch with wires colored Red, brown, light brown, and brown with white stripe?

I'll get a drawing for you so you can use the four-position switch. It will be easier for me if you have this connecter.

Do you have the resistor in the heater box with its connector?

I posted a picture of what I think might be your light switch in this thread
    J truck switches

Now why would I do something intelligent like that? I've got the one for the headlight switch but not this one. The resistor I believe came with my wiring harness-painless one. Wish I could have kept the truck around but it was in my cousins yard and his wife isnt real fond of such things-stripped it as fast as i could so as not to er off eh.

Is the heater core and box from the J truck, if not what kind do you have?

Can you post a picture of the fan switch -- back terminal side?

Yes it is from a J truck-I'll try and post up some pics tonight-got it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk715 View Post
    Yes it is from a J truck-I'll try and post up some pics tonight-got it at home.
    Great!

It should have the same resistor as mine pictured above. Post a picture of yours if you can -- just the outside terminals, you don't have to remove it.

I canl make a drawing after I see the pictures of the switch-back and resistor.