Thread: Exhaust manifold replacement ??

Thumbs down Exhaust manifold replacement ??

Hey:
    Anybody got any ideas how to get my old exhaust manifold off (cracked) without busting the studs, a horrible thought and nasty replacement job?
    I have a backup manifold just waiting to be installed?
    Those suckers look like they are welded on with rust? I can just see, in my minds eye.............SNAP..(dang-##$-$%-%^??) ...on 1 or 2 of them

actually those nuts may not be as stuck a u think they are, just go easy an if they dont wnt to move just apply some pb blaster an work slowly an i think they will come off ok. here is a related article http://landru.myhome.net/sivart/manifold.htm
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Default WoW Thanks

Thanks for the info and the great "link" about your experience

Actually that is a link to someones elses work
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I've had pretty good success with taking a little time to soak the nuts and studs with a good penetrating oil for a few days or even a week before you plan on starting the job.

Use only hand tools, and good six-point sockets on the manifold nuts. If anything hesitates, work slowly and go the opposite direction with the fastener, adding more penetrating oil and moving to the next.

If you have access to a oxygen-acetylene torch, use it to heat the nuts for easy removal.

Of course, replace them all with new for reassembly.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

I soaked mine for a week every night after work, they came right off. Didn't help with the cracks, new manifold cracked also. LOL.

I think I mentioned it in another thread a few weeks back, but the manifold detailed in that article is still running today with no leaks or cracks. The POR 15 finish is still bright and crisp and looks just like raw cast iron. It was worth all the extra time so far.
    Hopefully it will stay that way.

With as crack prone as these manifolds are I think I would at least get rid of the casting slag and surface it at a minimum before putting a replacement back on.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21