Thread: Steering Column - Horn Wire

Default Steering Column - Horn Wire

Wrapping up my electrical restoration and my horn wire from the steering wheel switch to where it exits the steering column is open (broken). Tried tugging on it and it doesn't come out. Any secret to replacing the wire?

The wire runs from just under the steering wheel to just behind the dash. You can pull the wheel off and then slide the aluminum contact off the yellow bushing. The aluminum contact has a male electrical plug on the column side.

If the old wire is still attached, unplug it but don't let go of the wire. Take a new wire, crimp another male plug onto it and plug it into the old wire in the column. Then just pull the new wire through and out under the dash. Cut off the male fitting and put on a Packard connector. Put a female crimp end at the steering wheel side and plug it into the aluminum ring. Put it all back together.

No wire at all is just about the same. Except fish a length of bailing wire through the column and out under the dash. Put a female plug on the end of your new wire, crimp it onto the bailing wire and pull it through. Then just repeat the other stuff from above.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Default Found it!

Pulled the wheel. The problem is the slip ring and it's contact, located right under the wheel. Both rusted so no contact. Wire is OK. Will repair both and recondition the wheel while it's off.

Default Spring Missing?

On the steering wheel bottom there is a contact pin the makes connection to the stationary slip ring for the horn switch. In the '20 manual this is on page 102 part #7. Is this part spring loaded to put pressure on the slip ring (part #20)? Mine is rusted into the steering wheel so can't tell. I would think it should be a two part unit with a spring. I can't find this figure in the parts manuals, so I can see what it is. No steering wheel parts listed that I can find.

the -34 manual would show it, an thats the one you can download from here
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Default Cleaned it up

Pulled the rusted pin out and no spring. Will clean up the insulated socket and pin and find a spring.