Thread: Broken!

Default Broken!

Went on a journey in the 715 today to pick up a power steering gearbox. It was free from a 70 something waggy-yay! On the way there I start hearing a little grinding on occasion. On the way back it starts again and finally I get the severe binds somewhere in the drivetrain. Had to call the wife to pick me up, only to drive back with the trailer and get the barely movable 715 onto the trailer. The rear seems okay based on jacking up each side and feeling how it moves so I think maybe transfercase. Anyone experience the jerk-jerk-jerk from a T-case before? It feels like ring and pinion broken but I haven't torn into it yet. Nothing felt hot, I guess I'll just start opening things up till I find it.

First guess would be the band brake.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

First time I drove my 715 any distance, I stopped and went to go again after about a 10 minute store visit. Truck wouldn't move. In the parking lot, (with a gaggle of onlookers) I found the left front brake was very tight.

Seems I adjusted it a little too snugly, and when it was hot, it got really tight. Also made a groaning noise as well. Loosened it, then got back to the shop and pulled the drum. No damage done and all was OK afterward.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Well I hope it's the brakes. I have a lot of new stuff to put in but I'm kinda waiting untill I can repaint everything before replacing pieces. Will let y'all know if there's any major carnage.

Previous owner lableled the transfer case lever positions incorrectly; as a result, I was driving around in 4WD for the first month I owned it. Had the same binding/jerking experience you did, then transfer case smoked, cooked, and died. You may want to take a look at your case to see if it overheated somehow.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog: if you can't eat it or hump it, just pee on it and walk away.

Yeah, the hokie linkage scabbed in by the fire dept aloows it to shift in and out of 4wd pretty often. I'll be digging into it tonight.

I cant really add to the above but please post what you find...

CK all your gear oil levels! and the cond of the oil.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Prelim finding is T-case. The brake band is fine as well as both Diffs. There was some rust on the inside of the front diff cover, but the gear oil looked good. The sludge that drained from the T-case is horrible looking-not to mention there wasn't much of it. It was almost tar like. Most likely my fault for not checking the oil level in two years. I'll pull the shafts tonight and check better for binding in the case. I prolly gauled a bearing ior something. I'm hard of hearing and I could hear a grinding noise over the normal, ever existant roar of the truck. LOL