Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selectro hub tech

Default Selectro hub tech

Anyone know where to get parts for the Selectro hub? Specifically, the O-ring (#9)?

Also, has anyone been into these hubs before for servicing/lubricating?

I removed the three sets of screws and took the outer portion apart. But I would like to pop the retaining rings off and get in to clean and lubricate the bushing and innards around there. I suspect that's the part I really need to get into, though the instructions don't take you there at all.

Any tricks or warnings to this I should know about?
    -- Tim Taylor

Default More instructions...

But none of them mention getting in under those snaprings. Think I should relax about it? (But I hosed the thing off with brake cleaner, so perhaps I really do need to get in there....)

Dualmatic Front Locking Hubs

1. Turn the knob to the ENGAGE position.

2. Apply pressure to the face of the knob, then remove the 3 screws paced 120° apart and nearest the flange.

3. Pull outward and remove the knob from the mounting base.

4. Remove the snapring from the axle shaft.

5. Separate and remove the locking hub assembly from the rotor hub. Discard the gasket.

6. Clean all parts in a safe solvent. Replace any damaged parts.

7. Coat all parts with multi-purpose grease prior to assembly.

8. Place a new gasket and the locking hub on the rotor.

9. Install the capscrews and lockwasher, then torque them to 40 ft. lbs. (574 Nm).

10. Install the snapring.

11. Position the shift knob on the mounting base. Align the splines by pushing inward and turning it clockwise to lock it in position.
    -- Tim Taylor

Was it full of junk? If not just get some grease in there and go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by amphi View Post
    If not just get some grease in there and go with it.
    After replacing the O-ring

This is absolutely no help Tim but I did locate a place (in Florida, I believe) that supposedly could get the parts. I think I was referred to them from the Selectro (milemarker?) customer service.

I had a similar parts breakdown, with part numbers, as reference which made things easy. But for some reason the rep never called me back and I didn't really care so I dropped the whole thing.

Um, I remember one of mine had a busted inner spline thing (#3) - you might look at those if you disassemble yours because that part would see some big forces. Also the plastic cam thing (#7) was toasted out, most likely from someone forcing engagement.

Now that I think about it, I guess I should sell those hubs...

Chris

It has been a while since I had one of these apart, but as I recall they are fairly easy to work with. make sure you put the springs back in the right direction, and probably the most important thing is don't force anything. It is easy to get the pins out of alignment with the cam ring and it not want to go together. One thing to be very aware of with these hubs is to make sure when you lock them the turn all the way in and "pop" into place, ..it it does not lock in, , . .it can unlock itself, . .leaving you in the middle of, . well, for example, . .fording a river. . . .(ask me how I know, .. .lol). . .

i need parts for 1 i shredded the inside of 1 hub.

You might try some of the industrial supply on-line stores such as McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) or MSC Industrial Supply (www.mscdirect.com). They will have a huge assortment of o-rings, but.... they won't have Selectro part numbers. You would have to buy them according to the size, material, etc. If your existing o-rings are in decent condition, you could measure them, or try to measure the o-ring groove. You would have to do some guessing on material type and hardness, but if you can't find a Selectro part, this might be an option.

Just how reliable are thes selectro hubs. Some people like some dont. But my question is that do they work when you need them to (when they are proporly installed of course).
    68 M-715 460 Ford

I bought mine used almost 5 years ago and have never given them another thought. They turn on or they turn off. The previous owner beat the snot out of the truck they were installed in as well. I have had no trouble with the Selectro hubs.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw