Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Progress Report, It's Alive.

Default Progress Report, It's Alive.

Al, Kaiserjeeps and myself fired up my truck and drove it out of the shop this morning, or around noon, still seemed like morning. We pulled a looong weekend, burning the hours well into the morning. Sleeping only a few hours each night. It finally came together today and was turn key. Boy it sounded good. Had the radiator burp when the thermostat opened up, and the power steering pump peed on the wall, but other than that things went well. Everything worked, still need to route vacume, loom some wiring and bolt on my front outer fenders, hood and small things. Clutch worked smooth, and had brakes even. Brakes seemed like they could be better and I am confident with driving/re bleeding they should be great. Locked up 4 tires going slow in the driveway. We captured everything on film. I just have to try and figure out how to post video. I can't be happier, I think its been almost 5 years since it has been driven. The buick 350 engine sounds excellent. It came up to oil pressure quickly, and so far hasn't gone over 192 degrees or so on the gauge. No leaks as of yet, although I expect something. But if no leaks that is great. I'll be posting up more pictures as I find time to finish up the last month or so of small details and start driving it. WoooHOOO. Thanks Again Al, well have to do this more often. I can't be happier with Al's wiring work and routing. The stock distribution box adapted to a new 18 circuit wiring harness, with new military led lighting. Looks clean. I'll keep everyone posted as I collect more pictures and finish up. Outside shots coming up.

Fabulous! Congratulations, man!!!
    -- Tim Taylor

Ya, congrats Todd, you've produced a beauty. These projects do get done. You have to just peck and peck untill your pecker gets sore.

LOL... I dunno about Todd but my hands hurt. What a cool project. I think we have about 155 hours, 5 weekends, 4 pizza's, 18 packs of cigarettes, close to 4 gallons of coffee, 2 cans of whip cream, 5 mocha's, 4 propane torch refills, approx 30 wood pellet bags, and two visitor's into a completing an 18 circuit wire install in tandem with all the BO marker lighting, distribution box, etc. There were a couple of serious curve balls that took time and troubleshooting to sort out. The first we (I) should have caught sooner was attempting to figure out and wire the wrong turn signal switch. Once that was discovered it was quick to figure out. Then we had a different relay set up for the headlights and horn than intended. The wiring diagram we had was wrong so when the truck was powered up with the 3 lever in off one headlight would light and the low horn would sound. Nothing is supposed to power up in off position. Found the issue and changed the wiring so it works great now with the relays that are installed. Lastly it looks like the wrong bulbs are installed as they are what look like a European type bulb that lights both low and high on the bright setting. We here in the states have mostly either a low or high beam only on older stuff. So the bulbs were back feeding around 5-6 volts into the low beam circuit when brighted. A big leak so to speak.

The headlight issue had me stumped and I could not go to bed. After figuring it out and changing the wiring to make it function right I had worked for 19 hours straight. Talk about living dead.

I am now home and I plan on sleeping for two days straight.

I thought Todd was going to spontaneously combust when it fired. It was turn key and just idled like it was just shut off yesterday.

I have real nice pictures and a short video of the truck pulling out of the shop. I'll post up when I wake up.

I'm all happy inside. What a hoot!!
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

That all sounds like a lot of fun. I'm envious. That's great that you had assistance on the wiring. Is electrical wiring Kaiserjeeps trade or just a hobby? It sounds like he knows what he's doing.

After 5 years, I can only imagine your excitement Fisherman. I look forward to the video and pictures. Congratulations.

Congrats Dude! I've been following your buildup casually but didn't realize it'd been 5 years. Now don't go selling it nest week! LOL Had to hack on Tracy (FNG) a little there.

Congratulations Guys!!

Can't wait to see the video and pictures.

So the bulbs were back feeding around 5-6 volts into the low beam circuit when brighted
    You probably checked this but just in case -- Sometimes this will happen with an inadequate (high resistance) ground. I would verify that headlight buckets have a good solid ground and the ground wire from each is well attached. With new paint and all it is possible.

Did the diagram I made for you guys on the multi-speed heater blower motor work out ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    ...Lastly it looks like the wrong bulbs are installed as they are what look like a European type bulb that lights both low and high on the bright setting. We here in the states have mostly either a low or high beam only on older stuff. So the bulbs were back feeding around 5-6 volts into the low beam circuit when brighted. A big leak so to speak.
    Will high-beam still power up both high- and low-beam lights? I wish my truck would do that. It really floods the road with light that way. It's a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserjeeps View Post
    The headlight issue had me stumped and I could not go to bed. After figuring it out and changing the wiring to make it function right I had worked for 19 hours straight. Talk about living dead.
    I could just see that, Al! I left soon after the horn honked, with one headlight was on high and the other on low. Goofing around with Todd's voltage finder I got positive off the winch control handle with the negative terminal of the battery disconnected. That would have had me baffled for a year!

So it's all sorted out then? Awesome! I really wish I could have stayed for the starting-up ceremony. Still, I'm very happy for you both. I could see the time and effort that has been put into that truck. I'm telling y'all, it's truly awe-inspiring. It really is. The attention to detail both of these guys exhibit is very evident here. My hat's off to you guys!

Can't wait for the video clip!
    -- Tim Taylor

Just a clarification to my earlier post.

Actually as I think about this more, a bad ground would more likely exhibit itself on the low beam setting rather than high beam. The scenario: Low beam current, not going to ground, would feed into the parralled high beam element then on to the high beam indicator light causing the high beam indicator light to illuminate dimly.

Amphi, again thanks for the heater wiring diagram. At first we just had high, now we have low and high, changed the terminals around on the heater box. We were running on our last legs the first go round with the heater. Some things are just a blurrrr. I will check the head lights grounding properly to the front end and body. We did find out that new paint can negate a ground. Guess I will remember this on the next Jeep I do. I will take the time on the next one to make sure I don't have a paint build up where I need certain things to ground too. Thanks Again Amphi. Maybe, just Maybe I'll be able to drive my truck when I finally get to meet you.