Thread: axle question

Default axle question

this link says the M715 came with a power-loc axel. Is that true and if so what does it mean?
    http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2...d=55&Itemid=31

That link is full of wrong information.

5.88:1 gear ratio
    open differential on both ends
    38" tall tires fit with no lift

I stopped reading after I saw those things, so I don't know what else is wrong.

Click the link at the top of the page marked "manuals" Start with the -10 and work you way through them all. Very helpfull and then you too can make fun of links like the one you posted.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for the update.
    I thought the power-loc was as it sounds a kind of locker differential and from all I had seen I thought the M715 has as you say open differentials.
    Its good to know so I can gauge the trucks limitations when four wheeling.

There are alot of error in that....20,000 and 40,000 lb pto winches mounted in the bed of many M715's by the factory??? Never heard of such a thing on any truck.

Knocking the carb out of adjustment by closing the hood because the air cleaner may hit the hood? Not even sure how that can happen.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Ouch a number of errors indeed!

I didn't know we'd donated so many to the South Vietnamese......

I agree about the article, . . the writer did not know much or do his research, very poorly written. As far as the power-lock, it is a clutch-type limited slip, . .as noted, it was NOT stock, but available for these axles and is a grand improvement to any open differential. I personally have a detroit locker in the back of mine. My other truck has a power-lock in the back. On the trail, the detroit is better, but on the road, the power-lock has better manners, . .just to shed a little light, . ..

Quote Originally Posted by moosejr View Post
    ...On the trail, the detroit is better, but on the road, the power-lock has better manners, . .just to shed a little light, . ..
    Also, you'll get better road manners from a DL if you're running narrow tires. It's the fat balloon looking teeny-bopper tires that really cause lockers to act poorly on pavement.

I have seen that article also, the writer must have been researching a completely different truck, since almost nothing he wrote is even remotely factual.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

That is one of the problems with the internet, it is too easy to publish incorrect information, but you have to take the good with the bad, a lot of useful information out there as well.

I found a couple of other references of the M715 with a power-loc, probably due to bad information being propagated without checking for accuracy.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

One of the worst offenders for misinformation on the web is Wikipedia. Its content can be edited and added by almost anyone.....