Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very Cold Weather and Driving in the M715

Default Very Cold Weather and Driving in the M715

Brought my truck home from the shop that did my body repairs. My friend told me I better check the brakes as the truck did not "roll" when he moved it. It was sitting outside. Well, we just put all new brakes and cylinders in a few weeks ago so I was concerned. Went to back out of his driveway and sure enough, you put in the clutch and it stops rolling quick, without touching the brakes. Drove it home and by the time I went 10 miles, it was fine. Tried it again today here at home and it would not roll. Drove it a bit and all is OK again. Now, the temperature was 15 degrees both days. Could it be all that gear lube is cold and restricting the "roll"? Any of you northern guys experience this?

Hand brake?

Cold lube can produce a fair bit of resistance as do cold tires, they get hard and dont like to flex an roll easy as they do hot. If your brakes are dragging badly the drums will get super hot real quick.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Not the hand brake and the first thing I checked on completing the trip was put my hand on the brake drums. They were cold. As I said, after driving a few miles, it is OK. I did not have this last summer.

Well I'm guessing you could jack it up, and turn the wheels to see IF they are draging? If it's in 'N' I would THINK it would have to do with the wheels/axles. My,.02.

Have you changed the fluides in the diffs, trans, and transfer case yet? The reason I ask is that if you have water in those part the water can freeze and bind the vehilce up. In you case it may not be enough to lock it up, but enough to make it slow going till it breaks up. I had a 1979 CJ that would not move one cold morning due to water in the diff from the previous owner using it to pull and launch a small boat.
    Zone holster maker

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I have a similar problem myself, and it never gets more than below 20 degrees at the worst here.

I've jacked up the truck, checked the brake adjustment, and everything else and there seems to be no problems. If I try to roll the truck cold, it takes a good initial "push" to get it started, then its free. I chalk it up to the gear oil and the tires too. Once mine rolls a few feet, then it seems to be free. Sounds as if yours doesn't until a little later.

If you don't have disconnect hubs, you're trying to turn a lot of stuff in the driveline at once.

Gear oil in the col combined with these big tires tat tend to flat spot easy will do exactly what you say.

I would, as a precaution, make sure the brakes are not dragging, as recommened up the page.

Using synthetic lube, I like 75W90 helps with the cold the fluid resistance.

Remember its the transmission, tcase and bot axles that are full of the stiff lube and need warmth to get on track.

You may be surprised how hard you have to push on the gas to do 20-25 mph at -25 degrees...you will have the thought that something HAS to be seriously wrong...

It is exactly like you say. Leaving my friends house, it is up a gradual hill. 25 was all she would do in 3rd. By the next traffic light, a mile or so, it was drifting a bit so was getting free. By home, it was A-OK. Next morning, same thing when I took it out to test it and it was fine when we parked it the night before. Both days 15 degrees or so. I do suspect the stiff lube but we will put it up and check the brakes. We rebuilt them completely but not saying something didn't go wrong.

Why would you drive one in the winter?