Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure for aftermarket tires

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Tire pressure for aftermarket tires

Searched the posts but didn't come up with much....

I am running 38.5 TSL's on stock rims with tubes and flaps. Anyone have any idea of a good tire pressure to run? 25 and 45 were OK for the NDT's but the TSL's look overinflated at 45. I just want to figure a good street pressure. Obviously off-road is a different story.

Are you running radials or bias? I am running 36" bias TSL's and run 30 psi empty, . bump it up when loaded. . .I would think the radials would want a little more, but45 seems a bit much. What does the labeling on the tire say?. ..Take the weight of your truck at that corner, figure it as a percentage of the load capacity of the tire, and take that percentage of the max tire pressure, . .gives you a decent starting point.

Draw a chalk line straight across the tread...drive a block or so and see if the chalk line is wearing off all the way across or only in the middle or outside edges...adjust pressure until the tread sits flat and wears evenly.

The pressure you need in your setup with your tires will be different than another persons...thus a method to figure out what will help them have the best contact area and long life.

I am running 50 psi in my Gateway Buckshot Radial Mudders.......36.5" OD......10 ply (load range E) I use the truck alot to cut firewood ....so am constantly hauling heavy loads.......The manufacturer's reccomended ratings are covered up by the lock ring (never thought to look before mounting) but have had several pickups with load range e tires in the past.....and have always run 50 - 60 psi.

im runnin 38.5 boggers on stock rims and run them at about 50 psi trying to keep them from flat spotting but to no availe. I even run the same pressures while offroading.
    67 M725, 67 M715, 68 M715

Randy,
    Do you have one of those infrared non contact thermometers? Pick a pressure and drive a few miles. Check temps across the tread and adjust up or down to make it even. Do this for each tire. You of course know that if the insides or outsides of the front tires are hotter, then to check your alignment.

I assume you want to set the pressure to provide the longest tire life on the pavement, right?
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Thanks for all of the above! I am trying to get as much street life as possible overall, but also don't want to chance a tire overheating.

I never thought of the temp method. I may also try the chalk method too.

Tom,Spicer, had swampers on his truck for a while. He used to tell the story about how he was going down the road one day loaded pretty heavy and he kept hearing a funny noise. Of course, this is over the 427 Tall Deck side exhaust.

He got to where he was going and noticed the tires were smoking. He touched the rears and they were almost soft. The noise was tire treads clunking off and hitting his fender flares. He also had a rear locker.

The point is that mud tires are not really all that friendly to heavy trucks and long pavement runs.

Tom replaced those tires with XL's. Then 11.00-20 XL's when he went to Rockwell axles and then I don't know what size those tires were he used at Top Truck Challenge, but they were XL's.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

My plan isn't to run long continuous runs on the pavement, but just back and forth to the trailheads. Its about 45 mins from my place to where I wheel and I can back road it the whole way too. That's my real plan anyway, not to be in a hurry.....just enjoy the scenery.

dukhunter785. a load range E 10 ply tire has a max inflation pressure of 80 psi, so you're all good. load range D has a max of 65 psi.
    randyscycle. if you are running a bias tire they will look overinflated at the same pressure as compared to a radial looking at the tread surface. Just the nature of a bias. 35-40 is a good place to start.
    Dave, yeah a bias tire is going to falt spot no matter what pressure you run. You might do a little better off road if you air down. it'll allow the tire to flex more. I'm not a fan of going to the lowest presure possible though. If you want to keep the flat spotting down try parking the truck on jack stands if you plan on letting it sit for a long time or any time you feel like going thru all the effort. It should help a little.