Thread: Do you use baby powder on the tire tubes?

Default Do you use baby powder on the tire tubes?

I'm going to start changing my tires to the Michelin XZLs this week. I got new flaps and tubes and want to do everything right the first time.

On bicycles I always put baby powder on the tube to help keep it from sticking to itself when it's inflated. Is that recomended for truck tubes too?
    Karl 1969 M715 wo/w

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

You can, it isn't a bad idea.

I have installed many truck tubes on lockring rims without it, and it isn't really an issue, because the tube on this style rim is already situated in the tire with the flap protecting it, so its not really necessary.

I do lube up the tire beads though, so that they seat a bit easier when you inflate the tires. A little soapy water works, or there are some tire lubes availble for that purpose too.

Helps keep the tube from adhering to the tire or the flap over years. On the really stuck tubes you can air the tube with out the rim and it will unstuck most of the time. I gave Barrman some tires that had the tubes stuck inside the tires. Don’t know if he had got to them yet. I don’t normally use powder just because I don’t have any in the shop and too lazy to walk to the house.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

[QUOTE=sermis;71526]Helps keep the tube from adhering to the tire or the flap over years. QUOTE]

After long enough with the large rim hole on the 715 rims, water intrusion is still a problem. Generally I find more problems with the beads rusting to the rims than anything........

Yeah, I got to them. Or at least 8 of them. I use the air it up without the rim method to break them loose.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw