Thread: PTO Shaft

Default PTO Shaft

What should I use for a PTO shaft? I am finally fixin' to put on my deuce winch. PO had used thin-wall pipe for the driveshaft, and it pretzeled (had not released clutch soon enough when cable got all the way in).

I'd rather that the sear pin be the weak point, I figure.
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

Stock PTO stuff can be hard to come by. I'd use that if you can find it. Otherwise I can measure the diameter of my stock pto shaft. You could use some solid roundstock and be ok I would think. I think anything hollow would be too weak.

Mazda p/u trucks have drive shafts just about the same size as M35 winch shafts. Spicer was using them for some of his stuff.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

DP, got a tractor supply near you? Should have everything you need. Make sure you have extra SHEAR pins in the glove box. Oh, and I think Tom used his old stock 715 driveshaft for his winch.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

sear, shear....who gives an 'h'?
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

I think you are correct on part of his M35 Al. He had two of the Mazda shafts sitting there in a mock up configuration for the rear winch on his M35 which he added after the crane the last time I was there.

It really doesn't matter. Any Japanese p/u will probably have a shaft about the correct diameter to fit most places and still have 4 bolt flanges on the ends to make hooking them up easy is my point.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

Just bustin your chops man!

Sorry Chris, I thought I was writting at Al. One of you two needs to pick a new avator so I can tell you apart. This reading the names thing gets old. I do better with just pictures.

I was banished from having an avitar!

Not anymore. At least you should be able to have one now. If not, write or call me and I will walk you through it.

Back to the question. I have a few Mazda RX-7 drive shafts left over from when I had to have 4 of those things to keep one running. I stood my spare M35 winch shaft up next to those last night and they are almost exactly the same size diameter and length. I couldn't tell, but since those things have slip yokes on the transmission end, it sure looked like a person could bore out the slip yoke and it would fit over the winch input shaft real easily. Then just drill a set of holes for the shear pin and you are good to go on that end.

Since you have the stock 230, you are going to need to go around the engine with the shaft anyway. Maybe a short shaft from the pto forward at a downward angle, pillow block, flat flange and then bolt into the drive shaft for the rest of the way forward. The shaft would would make a big V from the pto to the winch, but it would still clear the axle and not hang down below the frame more than half its width.