Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel powertrain

Default Diesel powertrain

Simple little questions ....

Some swap 4bt, other the 6bt ....

The 4bt came from breadtruck ...

The 6bt from dodge ram ....

Does any other cummins may be good donor for those truck ?? I have a friend who worked on a salvage yard ... and he can have me good deal on motor and tranny ... but only the newer ones .... I don't really know much more about newer cummins .. maybe you can help !! Thanks
    Rockwells / Cummins / 3053A
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

It depends on your skills. With a new engine, more wiring will be required. The 4BT is basically a plug and play engine for whatever application you have.

Look for a motor that has as few sensors as you can. All mechanical is best.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

wirings is not a problem at all .. it's my job doing that . Converting carb to injection . Megasquirt injection system and next month starting a friend motor swap .. 2005 GM 6.0 in a jeep YJ ... so i'm not affraid of wiring and work really fast. But who are the best donnor for the 6bt ?? have better year then other ? A 4bt is rare in Canada because all bread and chips truck have 6.2 Can have easily a 5.9 from a dodge ...
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Tell me if this setup sound good ...... i think it will be the best one !!

Dodge w350 1993 cummins manual tranny from a rear single wheel .

I think this is the way to go since it have 6bt , good tranny and strong tcase. Also will have those d60 front and rear for my axles swap already geared the right way for the diesel rpm !!

I may have the complete working truck ... but body is very rusty and need inspection ...
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Wiring's not the real issue on the newer 6bt's, COMPUTERS ARE.

Proceed w/caution, YMMV, etc etc
    **I heart Bump_r **

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze12volts View Post
    Tell me if this setup sound good ...... i think it will be the best one !!

Dodge w350 1993 cummins manual tranny from a rear single wheel .

I think this is the way to go since it have 6bt , good tranny and strong tcase. Also will have those d60 front and rear for my axles swap already geared the right way for the diesel rpm !!

I may have the complete working truck ... but body is very rusty and need inspection ...
    That sounds like the perfect donor truck, especially since the front axles will have lockout hubs on them. I personally like the 94-98 p-pumped engines better, because you can easily make some serious power with them, without doing a lot of major stuff to them. I recently helped a buddy put a p-pumped cummins in a 95 F350 and we dynoed it last month a 619hp. This was all with bolt on parts, we have never torn into the block, not including studding and fireringing the heads. I wish I could have found a complete truck like yours for my project, instead of hunting parts.

but a complete truck cost a lot more since you have all in the package !! 619 hp .... too much ... just want to keep it stock for now .... don't really need much power !!
    Combat wheels on 395 XML
    M104A1 trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze12volts View Post
    !! 619 hp .... too much .... don't really need much power !!
    TOO MUCH POWER!! no such thing

If you are gonna do all that work I would swap out the getrag to a nv4500 out of the 94 and up trucks as there are alot of problems with the getrag trans in the 93 back cummins.A ton of them were setup with the wrong tolerences from the factory.Check out the turbo diesel registry theres all you need to know about the cummins on there.Check out the first gen site,you can make 400 hp pretty easly on the early cummins espically the 93 as it was the only year intercooled for the first gen.Injectors,tweak the i.j pump,piston lift pump,turbo and some 4" exhaust.Just make sure them axles are not 3.08s as your front will be a dana 61 not a dana 60.The diesels all had dana 70 rears.If you do nothing to the motor at least take care of the killer dowel pin lol.It locates the timing cover and has a tendency to fall out and land right on the spinning cam gears.not pretty i've seen it happen. I would take a 12v cummins over the 24v anyday. Mike