Thread: constant vs momentary ignition switch

Default constant vs momentary ignition switch

Ok all you electric gurus--just so I'm clear----a momentary switch would be one that has the momentary start and returns by itself to the run position. A constant ignition switch would be one that you turn to run and have another toggle or push button to activate the starter??

You are correct. The original ignition setup on the M-715 used a constant switch and a separate starter button on the floor. Most cars prior to about 1960 or so were that way. Now cars have the start position built into the switch, with a spring-loaded return.

Default I'm an oldfashion kinda guy

I just love flipp'in the "on" switch and mash'in the floor button.
    What a hoot!
    Why change it

Everything comes back around.
    One of the guys at work has a beautiful new BMW, what does it have, a push button start.

A lot of new cars have the push button start. BMW, mazda, jaguar, some chevy's.
    When the switch on my ranch jeep died, I put in a toggle for the ignition and a button for the starter.

Yeah this isnt for my 715 its for my 284 International tractor---see my rant in the BS section----I put a Painless momentary switch (with a painless harness) in my 715 when I switched to 12volt. Did keep the master cutoff--swaped the switch and faceplace over-you cant even tell its a 12 volt not the 24.