Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust on FE engine swaps

Default Exhaust on FE engine swaps

OK I know that some of you have swapped Ford FE engines into your trucks and was wondering if headers or stock manifolds were the way to go. I got my motor back from the machine shop and it's ready to go back together and eventually make it back into the truck. But I'm stuck on the whole exhaust idea, the PO had put the motor in the truck without any. So I'd like to see pictures of your exhaust systems, especially if you're running headers on the FE. Thanks

As I will be doing this swap in the future, I am interested also.
    1967 M715
    2010 SVT Raptor

I'm running the stock exhaust manifolds. The only spots where it might be tight for headers is the heater box, if you use the FSJ style heater, and the steering shaft. I had fitment issues with the driver's side frame rail, but that was further on down the line, exhaust tubing, and should be after the collector on headers. I'll take some pictures later on today and post them tonight.

Cool thanks

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just an opinion, but thought I'd throw it out there:

In many swaps where you aren't looking for huge performance, I have found stock manifolds a tad easier to work with. They tend to hug the engine a bit more closely, they don't get nearly as hot, and there isn't always the steering and clutch linkage clearance problems. Not the gospel here, but just my experience.

Randy I agree, but with the non-performance FE motors the manifolds aren't the easiest to work with for building a from scratch exhaust system. The driver's side is nice and easy with it's exit being at a mild angle and near the of the manifold. The passenger side is another story all together. It dumps strait out the back. No pitch, no angle, just *blam* firewall. You pretty much have to make a 90 degree out. Shorty headers or the factory cast performance manifolds would be the best, but they are more expensive than I'd care to spend $300-800. Right now I'm just checking out my options and hoping that full-length headers will work, but I will probably be stuck with the stock manifolds or, if I get really wild, custom headers.

Stock manifolds usually outlast any headers by years...

I took a few pics today, hope they help.
    First is the driver side.

You can see here where I had to go under the frame rail, not the best option.

Then the passenger side.

On the passenger side the manifold exiting straight back actually helped me to route the exhaust tubing above the frame rail, there was plenty of firewall clearance and it keep it up and away from damage.

Thanks for the pics Gwen! They confirmed what I was afraid of. I figured that the exhaust would have to routed outside of the frame. So it looks like if I can't find a deal on a set of shorty's then the stocks are the next best option. Thanks again.

Gwen, is that a skid plate to protect the fuel tank in pic #6?