Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter replacement

Default Oil filter replacement

What is the replacement part number for the oil filter on the M715. Can't find anything on the search.

Here:

Quote Originally Posted by Barrman
    Wix is the best in my opinion. It is the same filter the small block Fords used for the last 30 years. Fram PH8A.
    The engine in my class has a 21515 made by Wix. The same number will be good for CarQuest filtes and NAPA filters.
    -- Tim Taylor

Yep, go with the Wix or Napa...FORGET that Fram even exists.

I use the Napa 1515...or the Nascar looking one for the same application. The Napa silver is good...the Nascar one is better...the Napa gold is best.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    FORGET that Fram even exists.
    May I ask why?

I use a Motorcraft FL-1A. Frams have reputation of failure. Here is a study for your reading pleasure:
    http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...ilfilters.html
    1967 M715
    2010 SVT Raptor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Interesting study.

Being in the automotive repair business for over 20 years now, I can honestly say, I personally have never seen an engine fail from the oil filter used on it, unless it was left off. Same goes for the brand of oil. That isn't to say I've seen it all. Just that it appears to be rare. If most folks would learn that oil and filters aren't meant to be lifetime items on their vehicles, they'd most likely enjoy many more happy miles.

Along with being on the repair end, my father ran a machine shop for 35 years, and anything that came through there generally failed for one of two reasons. It was well beyond its service life, or it was neglected to death.

In my own experience, I have used many Fram filters, along with the house brands of many parts stores, and have never lost an engine because of that. I have only used synthetic oil in one engine (a 4.0L Jeep) and the only difference I noticed was on a really cold morning, the oil pressure came up a bit quicker. The fuel mileage was the same, and the oil looked just like any other after 3,000 miles. Dark and ready to be changed.

I got the Fram. I have used them and never had any problems. My filter was too rusty to see the numbers on it.

That study is the reason I wont use Fram.

Maybe we havent seen an engine that died directly from the filter of choice, but if it is letting bigger particles through for the life of the engine and/or hitting the bypass more often isnt that going to have a negative impact on the lifespan of the engine? More dirt and especially larger dirt means more wear...maybe the difference between 100,000 miles and 150,000 or 150,000 and 200,000...

I normaly use NAPA on most things. I have used Fram and never had problems but have never seen the study on filters till now. Too late, NAPA was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by brute4c View Post
    That study is the reason I wont use Fram.
    Al Kaiserjeeps is the reason I won't use Fram.

He saw a Fram filter on my CJ when we popped the hood once and I'm still hearing about it....

I just won't run that risk anymore.
    -- Tim Taylor