Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing question

Default Towing question

Hi, I'm pretty new to the site. I'm going to pick up an M715 2 Saturdays from now. I'm borrowing a car trailer from my uncle's buddy. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 (5.2L engine) and a Nissan Armada (5.6L)(wife's). The Armada's max towing is 9100#, the Dodge is about 7200#. According to the manual on here, the truck weighs 6000#, don't know the weight of the trailer. I'm getting alot of pressure to not use the wife's SUV, although that seems like the obvious thing to do. I don't have alot of towing experience, and my question is- Do you think the truck will be fine, or am I pushing my luck and should just take the SUV knowing that any problem it has from here on out will get blamed on a single trip? Both vehicles are in good running (and stopping) order. I guess I'm just looking for an experienced opinion. Thanks.

Here's something to think about. Do you really want to take the chance of hurting your wife's rig? Something like that can follow you around for a looong time.

How far do you have to go? If it's across town a 1/2 ton should be ok. If it's a cross country road trip, you might want to think about borrowing a tow rig along with that trailer.

Another question. Do you have a trailer brake controller on your truck? That's almost mandatory.

I tow mine two different ways. Either a 3/4 ton ford in front of a 16' trailer w/electric brakes, or behind the deuce with a towbar.

Whatever you do, take it easy and get that 715 home in one piece. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Pineyguy View Post
    Do you think the truck will be fine, or am I pushing my luck and should just take the SUV knowing that any problem it has from here on out will get blamed on a single trip?
    Heh, heh, heh.... I know your pain, man!

As Oilcan mentioned, trailer brakes are a MUST. What is the trailer rated for? I've got a fairly heavy 12k gross trailer that weighs in at about 2,500 lbs.

If it helps, I think the stock M715 is actually more like 5,500 lbs!

You'd be kissing the edge pulling it with your pickup. I suggest you just ask your wife if your safety is less important than her Nissan...

Seriously though, you're right that any problem that later develops in her SUV will be blamed on the tow. You could probably do it safely with the pickup if you take it easy, keep your speed down and if you have trailer brakes. This assumes the trailer is rated for the load...

Either way, posting pictures here of the trip is pretty much mandatory now, since you brought the issue up here.
    -- Tim Taylor

Yeah, how far are you going with this is a BIG concern.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

It's about 120 miles from there to here, my uncle assures me that the trailer will handle it (he's a wiser man than me and he's used it before), and I figure if I take the truck, I'll just make sure I stop pretty frequently and check everything out. I figured the truck would be right on the borderline- I just wanted to know if anyone has pulled one with a half ton and if it was a terrible idea rather than a bad one. It really isn't a question in my mind that the Nissan would handle it much better, but she sees it as a family wagon rather than the most capable rig we own for the job. A guy I work with told me to use the truck and split the load- switch the towee for the tower halfway home.

If you are able to change towee for towed,why not drive the towed home?

DJ

Plenty of others have done it with a 1/2-ton pickup. The key here is whether or not you have brakes on the trailer.

And what's this switch the towee for the tower halfway stuff? This guy #1 hasn't driven an M715 apparently and #2, well, I just don't know....

If the M715 is a runner, just drive it home. Have the Mrs. follow you in the Armada.

Still need pics though.
    -- Tim Taylor

You can do it with the truck. Position the truck on the trailer so the rear of the Dodge goes down about 4 inches, then tie it down right there. Put the Dodge in D not OD and keep your speed around 40-50, plan way ahead for any stops, curves will scare you and so will the view in your mirror.

If the trailer starts to sway or "fish tail", you just reached your maximum safe speed plus 3 mph. Back it down 5 mph and enjoy the view on the way home.

Trailer brakes really are mandatory for safety.

Your wife will think the reason the radio has static on it from a far away station is because you towed the trailer from now on if you use it. Along with the tires going bald after 100K miles and the oil needing to be changed at 5K miles. Don't use it. Use the Dodge.
    Remember if you didn't build it you can't call it yours.

6.2 powered M715, 5 M1009's, M416, 2 M101's, 2 M105's, 3 M35's, M1007 6.5 turbo Suburban project called Cowdog.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCz...HGkBCfhXZ5iuaw

Did you win that EBay auction last week on that M715 with winch in northwestern New Jersey? Thats about 120 mile round trip from Jim Thorpe, PA

For 120 miles, I would use the dodge and drive slower. Man, I wish my junk I bought was that close. Last thing i bought was a 1000 miles and at 50-55 mph (we drove it back), it takes a while to get home.

Heck, if the truck is drivable (runs ok and has solid brakes) I would just drive it. 120 miles is a walk in the park here in Texas.