Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hydro brakes the stamp way

Default hydro brakes the stamp way

well, i got board, so i started turning some wrenches...we have a tow truck sitting out back, so i stoll some parts off of it.

it was really easy, the hardest part was lining up the pedal, and hooking up the linkage. what i did was the top 2 holes on the fire wall mached up perfict, but to be safe i reamed them out to save binding. it was prety much a direct bolt in except i had to shorten the linkage, i cut about a good 4 inches out of it. then tig it back together.

i also had to make the hole on the linkage bigger, but of corse i messsed it up and made it too big, so i made a brass bushing on the lathe, and it seems to work like a champ so far.

best part not one ruler, no special mesuring tool. just good ole eyeball....and no binding, and i get full stroke, and the pedal isnt retarded, its comfterable

it was a pita but hopefully it will stop this truck good.

my signature is sweet huh?

wow good deal and great pics. seemed pretty straight forward.
    what did it come from exactly? I`ve been considering this to make more room for a clutch master cylinder as well as super breaks.

it came out of a 80's chevy truck, i think it was a 3500. theirs a bunch of goodies on it, pto winch sm465, pto, 6.2 (350 now) bunch of cool stuff.

its really easy, and if you want i can take pics, all i modded was the mounting holes, and shortened the linkage.

what type of clutch are you running, ive been thinking about hydrolic clutch too.

sure if you have more pics that would be great , how much junk can a guy run off an average power steering pump ? hydro brakes,assisted steer,winch ? is it possible with a cooler or will it still boil?
    I`m planning on a nv4500 and I`m not sure if my huge booster will be in the way.

Get a clip on that brake pedal post.

Looks good! Very easy swap. I'm looking for medium duty HydroBoost after some volume measurements for Rockwell brakes.
    **I heart Bump_r **

i have no clue if it would need a cooler or not. wouldent hurt anything i guess.

ya a clip would probly help out a little now why did you have to mention the rockwells

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    sure if you have more pics that would be great , how much junk can a guy run off an average power steering pump ? hydro brakes,assisted steer,winch ? is it possible with a cooler or will it still boil?
    I`m planning on a nv4500 and I`m not sure if my huge booster will be in the way.
    I would seriously doubt you would get away without a good cooler.
    I know people have done it without a cooler, but they had a big reservoir. And they still had issues with heat.

Foodstamp, Good job. Only thing with welding the rod like that is if you get too much heat back into the booster. There is a seal up in there that is a royal PITA to replace.
    I have done the HB swap twice now, and cut/welded the rod both times without issue.

Taco, I think you should be more worried about the MC then the HB part of things. Running the 'smaller' 1 ton HB with a big MC on the rockwells would give you a nice long and controllable throw to the brake pedal.

Remember, the HB for dueces are for stopping all that weight. So they offer more pressure. But the MC is the biggest part of matching to the brakes. Yes, I know that you know this, just reminding ya man.

ok, thanks for the tip, i dont think it got too hot. but if it did get messed up i have a spare HB, and to help with the heat issue we can put a wet towel around the shaft to keep it some what cooler maby.

how did you like the HB set up?

you dont think ill need a cooler do you? the truck i got it off of dosent have a cooler, and all im running is a power steering box and HB

Looks good. Got any pictures of the completed install?

no, not really, i can take it apart and get some more, but its prety straight forward, the hardest part is shortening the shaft. but if you want i can take some more, sadly i might have to take it out so i can paint it, its kind of a pita to menover in, you need one guy to hold it, and another to put the linkage on the pedal.

but when ever i take it out ill take some pics for you, it might not be today though becouse hopefully im going to put a motor in it