Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel tank pickup mod/rebuild

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Default Fuel tank pickup mod/rebuild

In the course of cleaning and repairing my fuel tank, I installed a new sender and then discovered that the original fuel pickup tube had a small pinhole rusted through the curved part as it came out of the tank. Being a bit skeptical of its integrity further down into the tank I decided to dig in deeper. Here's what I found:

First, the pickup tube is soldered into a bung which is riveted the soldered to the tank top. I melted away the solder, then drilled the rivets off to get it loose:

To get it out of the tank, I had to drop it in, then fish it out of the filler hole because the bung is installed from the inside. Once out you can see its design and the rust hole in it:

Here is what it looked like when I tried to pull the sock off the tube (!) :

The only part I salvaged was the actual bung for the tank:

Next, I drilled and tapped it to fit a 90 degree 3/8" fitting:

With the fitting on top, I brazed in a length of 3/8" steel line. Note: this is very important to braze this, as you need to solder the bung back into the tank and solder here will melt if you use it to secure the steel pickup tube:

Then, using some fine brass screen, I had to make a sock for the pickup. I used this, because you only have a small hole to fit through when reinstalling the pickup. I chose to install it from the outside to make things easier:

More in the next post.....

Once the pickup was finished, I cleaned the tank top surface very well and using flux and a wire brush prepped it to solder the new pickup back in place:

Here is the new pickup soldered in place:

And lastly all painted OD:

This pickup most certainly would have left me sitting eventually even if it had not had the hole on top. I also used 3/8" line all the way which may be a help for the V8 swap too. The original line was 5/16". If ever there is a need to get in there again, the pickup can now be removed from the top instead of from the inside as it was originally.

Absolutely outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for all the pics and detail!!!!!!

Fantastic post, man! Thanks!

...Makes me wonder what mine looks like now!
    -- Tim Taylor

That is wonderful work. So can you solder "normal" steel like you would with copper lines, or is other work needed? Yes, I know I'm ignorant here.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by gimpyrobb View Post
    That is wonderful work. So can you solder "normal" steel like you would with copper lines, or is other work needed? Yes, I know I'm ignorant here.
    You can solder steel line and fittings, etc. In the case of using the coated steel line like I did, you need to strip off the galvanized outer coating before hand and get it very clean. I did braze the line into the fitting however as I noted above, because in order to heat the fitting enough to solder it back into the top of the tank, it would have melted the solder holding the pickup tube into the tank bung.

And yes, I wondered too, how many others look like that......Surprisingly, the inside of my tank was actually pretty clean with no scale or chunks of rust, just a very slight brown haze in there. I cleaned it with phosphoric acid and it came out like new.

Randy, I'm pulling up your old thread in hopes of getting some advise. I saw your post about melting the solder to pull the pickup tube.

I dont know how far that I need to go, so maybe you have a recommendation or two. I tend to sometime over complicate things, because I want to do it once, and hopefully the correct way

I pulled my tank today, and it doesnt look too bad. Its pretty shiny inside for the most part. Would you recommend an Ospho rinse anyway, will Ospho mix with the residual gas or do I need to hose it out. I"m not keen on that because I'm not sure where to dispose of the gas/water mix.

I can see the sock in the tank to well, but it doesnt look terrible. I do have a coil of 3/8 galvanized fuel line and a flaring tool, and could possibly do your mod.

I have the tank out, and mostly empty - what would you do? (WWRD) ha!
    Thanks, George
    Joshua 24:15

From my past experience with fuel tanks of that age/era, I'd say do the mod.

If you don't do it now, you will probably end up doing it later. With the addition of ethanol to fuel, it acts as a solvent and will wash off anything you cannot see inside the tank, and may attack the sock over time, softening it, or causing it to come apart and stop up the line later. That, and finding a leak/line issue later and having to remove the tank and do it again to me is just a pain.

Keep in mind that what you can see through the filler neck or sending unit hole is only the left side of the baffle that runs down the length of the tank, so there could be other stuff you don't see on the other side of it.

Its out now and on the floor I assume? That's the time to do it.

When I cleaned my tank, which wasn't too bad inside either, I used a mixture of water and phosphoric acid to clean it, then rinsed it out completely, and added a box of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid, before drying it out completely inside using a fan overnight. Disposal may be a problem, but phosphoric acid is used to clean concrete and other things too all the time and it gets rinsed onto the ground anytime I've seen it used in that application.. The stuff you'd rinse out of the tank should be negligible if there isn't any real loose stuff in there and all the fuel is drained completely. You could also use muriatic acid too, but it tends to flash rust very fast after using it.
    "Free advice is worth what you pay for it."™

Thanks Randy. Would using Ospho be on, or should i just buy the phosphoric acid.

I haven brazed since highschool welding class in 1984. Do you think I can get enough heat out one of those propane cylinders using map gas?
    Thanks, George

The baffle: is it brazed to the bottom of the tank, and where is the door/gate that lets fuel flow between them? I tried to look in the tank using my free NRA led flashlight, but it wasn't bright enough

I have read about the chain trick, and jeeper mentioned the marble trick to loosen up anything that I cant see. but I dont want to get a chain stuck in the tank
    Thanks, George