Thread: I got numbers!

Default I got numbers!

Sandblasting my truck today, and after having it for several years in various stages of rebuilding, numbers finally came to light.

On the tailgate it had, in Yellow stenciling: USN 95-18371

On the bottom left of the tailgate, it had what looked like a hexagon, about 4" across, in yellow, with a 2 or 3 digit number on it...it was mostly gone since the USFS green had flaked off, and taken much of the yellow paint with it...but you could see the outline of the hex shape, and what looked to be numbers. Any ideas what this was??

edit: found where I had written it down, corrected the tailgate number above
    Last edited by kaiser715; February 29th, 2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: corrected numbering
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

The marine corps used symbols to identify their divisions but i dont know if a hexagon was one of them, and the usn is of course us navy possibly was a seebees truck. Although the navy usually added their own data plate to trucks assigned to them, the marine corps did not. seebee trucks were usually painted in marine corps colors. Thats about all I know about it.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Anybody got pics of those symbols? It looked like a hex...but maybe something else could fit...it was pretty far gone from weathering.

All data plates were missing from my truck when I got it. I'll look at the dash and compare to another...see if I have an extra set of rivet holes.

Oh, and the original paint is the dark marine corps green. 24087
    DP

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat, Then decided to race them.

24087 is the army semi gloss, marine corps green was 34052 its a bit paler
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710

Could it be a diamond shaped symbol? The Marines used diamond shaped symbols with numbers for units. The diamond would have lookd sort of like this <> . Maybe that's what you had. 24087 is Army green, but that doesn't mean the truck wasn't painted that at the factory and then sent to the navy.
    Zone holster maker

DP, you actually have an M715?! Gosh...who knew?!

You sure the color isn't that green I've see on practically every M715 that's neither 24052 nor 24087?

The door panel color is what I mean. The gauge panel is 24052, the ammo can might be the same. Not sure. The hardhat and jerry can holder is 24087.
    -- Tim Taylor

Color was more like the hardhat and jerry can holder.

The hex symbol was like < > if you draw horizontal lines between the end points top and bottom. Was about 3 or 4" tall. The unreadable numbers inside were unpainted (base color) and were probably about 1.25" tall.

This is my friend Ben's 715 bed...it's the lighter color like Tim's door panel:

DP

You'd have to use rubbing compound on any paint that's been weathered like that.

The inside of the door panels, inside of the glove box, inside of the storage box under the front of the bed and behind the data plates are all good places to see what the original, unweathered, paint looked like. And rarely have I seen it a color other than the inside of my door panel (I think once I saw one 24087).
    -- Tim Taylor

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    You'd have to use rubbing compound on any paint that's been weathered like that.

The inside of the door panels, inside of the glove box, inside of the storage box under the front of the bed and behind the data plates are all good places to see what the original, unweathered, paint looked like. And rarely have I seen it a color other than the inside of my door panel (I think once I saw one 24087).
    My cab front under where the fenders mount had that color you are referring to. I think it was whatever was laying around in Toledo at the time. It doesn't seem to match anything.

I have a few .223 ammo cans that have a similar color inside them.

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Could it be a diamond shaped symbol?...The diamond would have lookd sort of like this <> .
    Like this one that I copied from another site.