Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M-series LED Taillamp Conversions - Who's interested?

Lightbulb M-series LED Taillamp Conversions - Who's interested?

Ok, I had a buddy with access to a lot of computer-controlled milling equipment design and produce these adapter rings. They will allow you to mount a 4" round LED sealed truck/trailer lamp into a round style M-series lamp housing. The look is similar to the Gama Goat taillamps, with the face of the adapter meeting the LED lens nearly-flush for a "one-piece" original look. The adapters are designed to accommodate a wide range of 4" round lamps originally designed for mounting in a rubber grommet. The design utilizes a stock-type flat o-ring to seal the backside of the lamp assembly into the lamp housing, maintaining a 100% waterproof assembly. These are basically a bolt-on other than certain brands of LED lamps may require minor grinding of the ridges on the inside of the housing for clearance.

The rings can also be used to mount the aforementioned LED assemblies into a flat panel without the use of the M-series lamp housings, producing a semi-flush fit with a rugged appearance. Perfect for Jeeps and other trail rigs.

These photos are of unfinished pre-production samples and the camera has made the tool marks visible, although they are actually perfectly smooth to the touch. The production units will be offered powder-coated in a few colors (including OD semi), polished or unfinished.

For more and larger pictures: http://homepage.mac.com/m715/led_tai...taillamps.html

Let me know if you would be interested in a set. Warning: considering these are milled from a 1" thick solid aluminum plate, they will not be cheap. However, I do plan to offer them to Zone members for darn-near production cost (which is still being determined).

Wow...that's outstanding! You should give thought to offering them with the LED assembled in them so that it would be a "plug and play" type device.....I think you'de do better selling them to the general MV population (and 4X comunitty in general) then the some assemble required mode of just a aluminum ring. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Good luck I hope this is profitable for you.
    Zone holster maker

THAT is AWESOME!

I am interested...price will determine how much...but that is great thinking and excellent execution...I am impressed!

Wow, Those sure come out clean. Let us know when you get a price together.

On what k8icu said, there are a handfull of people selling stock mv lights/housings/etc. on ebay all the time. You might be able to hook up with one of em' and purchase a "lot" of housings to offer complete units. Just another thought. Keep us posted, Thanks, Jay

You should post this up at SteelSoldiers also. I'm sure it will generate a few interested people and broaden the market a bit.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Yeah, we need a price! I have 4 trucks I might have to convert.
    "We are here for the meeting!"

Quote Originally Posted by k8icu View Post
    Wow...that's outstanding! You should give thought to offering them with the LED assembled in them so that it would be a "plug and play" type device.....I think you'de do better selling them to the general MV population (and 4X comunitty in general) then the some assemble required mode of just a aluminum ring. Just my $.02 for what it's worth.

Good luck I hope this is profitable for you.
    I will probably offer LED assemblies and wiring kits, including inline 24-to-12 volt converters so the common 12v LED assemblies can be utilized in 24-volt trucks. I already designed a super-compact regulated converter circuit for that purpose, as well as an inline converter to allow them to be used on vehicles with separate stop & turn lamps (which is actually how I wired my M-715).

Right now this is at a research stage. It was something I already wanted for my own truck and had these made for myself. I was so impressed with the result I figured other people would be, too. The pictures don't do them justice, they are works of art. I think a set of these polished would look awesome on a non-MV as an alternative to the otherwise bland rubber grommet mounting commonly used. The semi-flush look is reminiscent of the flush mounting of the composite lights on a HMMWV. Of course on my '715 they will be olive drab semi...

We are also experimenting with keeping the center of the ring solid with two cutouts to mimic the original M-series lenses, as well as versions with a logo or graphic cutout over the led face -- ie. "Jeep", Chevy bowtie, a scull, etc. The broader the market, the higher sales volume. With higher volume (usually) comes lower prices.

Keep in mind a lot of the LED lamps on the market are already 12-24 volt compatible so you wouldn't need to do any work there. Another thing you could consider doing is a ring for the larger M35/HMMWV style lamps that could use the more easily found truck lamps. There are plenty of the LED lamps out there for M35s and similar but they are expensive and some may be looking to save a little as well as be able to replace them at a truckstop at night rather then have to order a lamp assembly and wait a week.
    -What We Have, We Hold-

Jester Guest

What happened to this project?

Someone, I think it was DP, posted about using a 4" hole saw to cut out the center of a stock M715 light and you'd have essentially the same thing.

As for Mudog715, he hasn't posted a thing on the Zone since February.
    -- Tim Taylor