Thread: Disassembly in progress

Default Disassembly in progress

Here's Mike's parts truck as it stood this afternoon. Nick was adjusting his gloves there getting ready to pull the dash panel off.

Now this is interesting, and the main reason this is posted here in Stock instead of Open. This is the turn signal switch that was installed in the truck. I've never seen one like this. It uses the same socket base to connect the harness to the back as the solid state switch I bought last year. The harness on mine, being that it was installed after the fact to replace the original turn signal stuff, is clearly not original as the harness is independent of the truck's main harness. On Mike's parts truck, on the other hand, the solid state turn signal switch harness meshes into the main harness after passing through the firewall. That is to say, the individual wires from the plug go into the main harness, then come back out a foot or two later to connect to the rear stop- and turn-signal connections. Have others here seen this style solid state turn signal switch before?

Front side:

Close-up of front:

Back side:

I tried hooking it up to the harness in my truck and the switch worked, albeit oddly. There are four positions as follows, from left (farthest counter-clockwise position, as if signalling a left turn) to right (farthest clockwise position, which requires pushing forward (toward the dash) on the "Hazard" tab:

1. Off
    2. Left turn
    3. Off
    4. Right turn

No hazard function. I thought the green center cap on the face would blink, but if it is indeed a light, it must be burned out because there was no blinking.

Locating notch ensures I hooked my harness up properly, so it wasn't an issue with hooking the plug in wrong. Unless they changed the pin positions over the years.

The dash panel is off now, as is the driver's door. Nick got the tail light off, Mike! The same one you couldn't get off with your cordless impact! But then I looked and saw he had just taken the light housing itself off. We'll tackle the mount for it later for you. With a little help from my friend, PB.

Disassembling this truck has become what Nick is living for these past couple days! I hope you buy some more to park here. It has proven to be the easiest way to get him to finish up his homeschooling work with a minimum of goofing around! So keep 'em coming, Mike! Heh, heh, heh....
    -- Tim Taylor

Tim, I am on it. If I new I had a safe place to store a few,well I would have already bought a few more. (You know what happens when I store stuff at the family farm. It has been a few years, I still cant get that out of my head. Dad ticked off, trackhoe with thumb attachment, ugh.)
    Last edited by 503m715; January 7th, 2008 at 09:35 PM.

Tim, try pulling the turn sig handle out and up past right turn. That looks kinda like my duece one and it has hazards if you do that. Nick is gonna be a gear head you just wait....
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

never mind I see the handle style is different. Can you depress the green knob and do anything with that?
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

That switch was in some of the retrofit kits that the army developed in the mid 70s and was a MWO for many trucks. The kit came with all the wiring, front and rear compsite lights, flasher and turn arm. The kit was made to upgrade trucks like M35s that didn't have turnsignals or M715 which had the old style lights to the "new" style composit lights and to get turn signals in. I think the hazard tab is a switch all on it's own, but I don't remember how to work it...maybe you push it in....
    Zone holster maker

That tab with "HAZARD" on it prevents the arm from clicking into the 4th position unless the tab is depressed. There's a "step" on the base of the arm that comes up against the left side of the tab unless you push it in (toward the dash) so the step can pass the Hazard tab. It's sort of like the newer style where you have to pull outward on that shorter arm to get the switch arm to turn the extra click clockwise to turn on the hazards.

This switch has the 4 positions, but there was no hazard function and the positions are all wrong (see above description).

Also, something I forgot to mention, the wiring exits the harness and plugs into the rear stop- and turn-signal lights, but there's no "brain box." I'll take a look at mine again--I think there are two or three wires that pull out of the harness to attach to that box. Those wires may well just have been cut and I didn't see them. I'll look again today to compare.

Interesting little switch though. I'll see if that green cap comes off for access to a bulb.

I've got to get a picture of that oil filter too. It's pretty filthy right now, but it looks like there's a military part number on it. It's also OD and is made by Wix.

This is the first time Nick has shown any real interest in wrenching on a vehicle. And he was exstatic when I told him Mike said he could have the grab handle and maybe some other parts too! He then started naming off parts: "Can I have a door?!" "What are you going to do with a door, Nick?!" I told him his would be parts that Zoners wouldn't likely be needing...like stock doors! But it's pretty funny seeing how into this he is. He tried to get his younger brother out there to help, but Nathan quickly lost interest and went inside the house to play Skip-Bo in front of the fireplace with Jennifer.
    -- Tim Taylor

I have at least 4 different styles of the solid-state turn signal levers (all on my m715's).
    There is a bulb beneath the green cap in the center of the lever. Remember uncle sam always buys lowest cost. They all function the same.

This one: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Turn-Signal-...QQcmdZViewItem
    If you can't find it on e-bay sometime, it doesn't exsist.
    68 M-715 MVPA #2710