Thread: Fan choices

Default Fan choices

I'll be mounting my radiator and fan here pretty quick. Looking around I've got two clutch fans. One stock fan, and one flex fan. I've been told you have to store a clutch fan in the proper position or it will go bad. Not sure either of mine have been stored correctly or if it makes a difference. I was going to use the flex fan. Unless someone has any recommendations. What would you guys use? Engine is a 69 buick 350 slightly built. Stock radiator etc.

Todd, I run a big 7 blade fixed fan in front of my 350. I also used a fan clutch eliminator and it is direct drive. It cools like a big dog. Throw that flex fan away. They are dangerous and won't work as well when it's really hot. In the old jeep club I was in a member of the club was killed in less than a minute when leaning over his fan and revving the motor. The flex fan spit out a blade and cut his heart in half. Go fixed blade stock type fan. You won't be sorry.
    Liz, covid, murdered 10/19/21

wow, that is a horrible story about the guy who was killed. i have never before heard of a person being killed by one, but i have seen a fan come apart and send a piece of shrapnel through the hood of a full size blazer, luckily no one was injured. long story short, stay away from the flex fan.

Here's an excerpt from http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp2436/rs200201/en.htm

During 1970-1980, some large engines were equipped with cooling fans with flexible steel blades that were designed to reduce fuel consumption by reducing the power robbed from the engine to drive the fan at cruising speed. Some of the fan blades broke off causing damage to components such as the fan shroud, the radiator, the battery or the cooling hoses. If the engine is running and the hood is open, any person standing in line with the fan could be seriously injured or killed.

I guess that I never really thought about those consequences. Sorry to hear about the club member mentioned above.

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I was always taught at an early age, not to rev a motor while hanging over it for various reasons. The first being the fan possibly breaking. The other that if the car were to jump into gear, youd be very seriously hurt if not dead. Broken belts wouldn't feel too good either slapping you at 3,000 RPM.

That said, I'd go with the stcok fan if it were me. Personally I have never had much luck with the flex fans cooling very well. Just not enough pitch to the blade in my opinion. I had a big 7 blade Chrysler fan on my last BB Chevy and it did great.

And the storage thing: They say to keep the fan clutch in the same position as its installed on the car when stored, so that the silicone fluid cannot leak from the shaft seal. Tha way I see it though, is that if it leaks, its junk anyway, and besides, they are shipped new lying down, standing up, upside down, etc.

Well the flex fan I was painted will get pitched. That leaves a four blade stock fan or two different clutch fans to choose from. Looks like I'm going with a clutch fan. Neither of them leak, one feels a little better than the other one though. Thanks everyone.