Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M715 (101) Newbie Know-How...

Default M715 (101) Newbie Know-How...

I'm going to start this to try to help myself and other newbies.... I'm gonna pic some categories that many of us newbies have a hard time with and it should cut out on alot the repeating questions and make it easy to find as well...

I will be continually updating this one post as I find more info, so bear with me....

"pm" me to add a link or info so I can edit this post and have it all in one post...

Where can I find an M-715?

Who makes TOPS? Which one's are best?

What are common motor swaps?

Where can I find stock motor parts?

How can I improve steering?

How can I improve brakes?

What are my suspension options?

What's with 24v? Can I change to 12v?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

Just use the search function at the top of the main page. It will do all of what you ask.

"I will be continually updating this one post as I find more info, so bear with me.... "

We will be here.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    Just use the search function at the top of the main page. It will do all of what you ask.
    I realize that, take the time to read what I wrote, I'm doing this for me and others and I am the one putting the info in it, I'm not asking for answers to these categories.... We all know what a search bar is, I'm trying to make it a little easier, some of the things I've had to find are on the 12th page of a search, when it can be on one page.

What are common motor swaps?

Ford 302
    Chevy 350
    Caddy
    One of our members makes a kit that will adapt a Chevy V8 engine to the stock transmission and believe it even comes with motor mounts. It seemed to be a complete kit (meaning everything you need) and, while a bit expensive, was actually quite reasonable compared to similar kits.
    Novak-Adapters
    Advance Adapters- has motor mount kits for 1941-1970 wagons & trucks
    Painless Wiring- offers a kit for transplanting the Cummins Diesel!

Where can I find stock motor parts?

Hi-Performer offers rebuild kits and complete crate motors for the Tornado 230-i6

How can I improve steering?

ANY Full Size Jeep PS box from 74 up works.

GM car boxes from roughly the late 60's through the 90's work too...NOT the truck box.

How can I improve brakes?

UglyTruckling- has front and rear disc kits
    you can also add a brake booster

What are my suspension options?

38's fit with stock setup, but, if you need more, soa (spring over axle) in front, and a shackle flip in the rear will do the trick.
    spring over conversion

What's with 24v? Can I change to 12v?

Rhoadesville, Virginia (five miles from no place)

I am not trying to be uncooperative, but it looks as if you have the info you need, so what is your point? If others can't find it, they generally ask and are pointed to the correct place by another helpful member. That has been my experience if I can't find it in the search function.

That said, there are a lot of possibilities for engine swaps, methods, techniques etc, that listing them all on one easy page may be incredibly hard if not impossible.

That is why there are entire forums sections devoted to stock tech, modified tech etc, and these have been amassing information for years now. Its hard to digest it all down to a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by randyscycle View Post
    I am not trying to be uncooperative, but it looks as if you have the info you need, so what is your point? If others can't find it, they generally ask and are pointed to the correct place by another helpful member. That has been my experience if I can't find it in the search function.

That said, there are a lot of possibilities for engine swaps, methods, techniques etc, that listing them all on one easy page may be incredibly hard if not impossible.

That is why there are entire forums sections devoted to stock tech, modified tech etc, and these have been amassing information for years now. Its hard to digest it all down to a nutshell.
    The point is, yes, it doesnt cover everything, but it gives the basics and will save you guys ('zone guru's) from repeating yourselves.

I guess I'm going to just go back to "viewing as a guest" mode, that was much easier.....

Quote Originally Posted by OliveDrab View Post

I guess I'm going to just go back to "viewing as a guest" mode, that was much easier.....
    i don't think that is what anyone wants. your posts kind of come across as though you want to change what many of us feel is the norm. it comes off as kind of pushy and it also in a way makes at least me feel like you think the site wasn't good enough till you jumped in and made it better. improvements are as far as i know welcome, but doing so in such a brash way is bound to make people balk especially when you are brand new
    Ryan

Maybe I didn't see it that way I guess. Not really trying to insult anyone, just trying to help out and enjoy the site as well. My apologies to anyone who it came across to that way. I think the site is great and so are its members, I guess I just need to kick back a little bit.....

Nahhh stay with it this site needs young blood!

You need to test the waters here. Not just jump in with both feet. Save that for your truck. You will need it. Nothing wrong with opinions and change. Just not all in one day from a newby. Again Welcome.