Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rims Stock or Aftermarket

Default Rims Stock or Aftermarket

I don't know much about the stock rims. But aren't they split rims? That means a pain in the butt to change the tire. But is it hard to find the bolt pattern that works on this trucks? Help, like I said I don't know much about this rims and don't won't to waste money on a new set of rims.

With the correct tools and knowledge of how to do it properly I've heard these rims are fairly straight forward to break down yourself. Hence the ease to change a tire in the field. You can run radials and bias on them with the proper tubes and flaps. For aftermarket wheels there are several choices. Diamond racing, Stockton wheel, Bob cowan wheels. However the best place to deal with was MRW. Also they were the least expensive. I'm keeping my factory set for maybe a set of Boggers or Swampers down the road. I bought 5 new MRW wheels for the michelin xl's I'm running. Good Luck with your choice.

And you're right, Gill, about the odd-ball bolt pattern. I'm afraid you're stuck with the stock split rims or going custom.
    -- Tim Taylor

So Binford, there is no company that makes the stock bolt pattern.

Only custom, I'm afraid.

I've seen Fisherman's MRW wheels and they look SHARP. About as reasonable price as you'll find too.
    -- Tim Taylor

Shipping is probly going to cost a shinny penny.

I paid about 6 hundred for 5 wheels shipping included from Arkansas to Washington State for the MRW wheels. Stock bolt pattern, 8" by 16".

Not as bad I thought. Now I need to think about some tires.

I have thought about this for awhile but never did any measuring but couldn't the ring be removed and weld on beadlock? I don't know if the rim diameter would match up but it would be a great way to get rid of the split ring and gain something useful for wheelin.

Not going to say that it can't be done, but not quite as easy as just welding on a beadlock.

The rim is still a tube style rim. Doesn't hold air. So you would still have to run a tube. No biggie.

Second hurdle would be that the can isn't recessed in the center. By and adding a fixed ring to it you're making it very difficult to get a tire on. The recess in the center of a normal rim helps you elongate/oval the tire to get it over the bead. Obviously, I've no first hand experience with your described set up, but I can see it being a real pain in the azz to get a tire on if not completely impossible without damage to the tire.

With all that done, you're going to have some questionable edges in there for the tube to rub against. May or may not be a big problem.
    This post is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.